Menu

Can you tell me all about bju math

Mom2three8383

The BJUPressHomeschool website has extensive samples. BJU's philosophy is that the teacher brings something to the table, so you'll want to get the tm, not just the student worktext. I think in the newest editions you have a cd with supplemental pages. 

Yes, BJU will be mastery. There should be supplemental pages for students needing extra review/remediation and also pages for advanced/precocious students, all on that cd in the tm. Another nice thing about BJU is the variety of modalities they'll tap into. If you have a student who needs color or b&w or narrative or kinesthetic or ... to engage, you're going to find things there. 

BJU had research done a few years ago showing terrific results with their materials. www.hightestscores.com I think is the site. Their philosophy has always been to build a solid foundation, so you might see some differences with Abeka. BJU updated all their levels of math, a dramatic bump. Again, make sure you're using all the components and not just the worktext., if you want the complete course.

We used quite a few years of it with dd and never had any trouble with standardized test scores for math. I think it's a solid recommend. There are other good choices too, sure, but BJU is a solid choice, something flexible enough to work for a lot of kids. My ds has significant SLDs, which is the only reason I'm not using it right now.

Edited by OhElizabeth

The BJUPressHomeschool website has extensive samples. BJU's philosophy is that the teacher brings something to the table, so you'll want to get the tm, not just the student worktext. I think in the newest editions you have a cd with supplemental pages. 

Yes, BJU will be mastery. There should be supplemental pages for students needing extra review/remediation and also pages for advanced/precocious students, all on that cd in the tm. Another nice thing about BJU is the variety of modalities they'll tap into. If you have a student who needs color or b&w or narrative or kinesthetic or ... to engage, you're going to find things there. 

BJU had research done a few years ago showing terrific results with their materials. www.hightestscores.com I think is the site. Their philosophy has always been to build a solid foundation, so you might see some differences with Abeka. BJU updated all their levels of math, a dramatic bump. Again, make sure you're using all the components and not just the worktext., if you want the complete course.

We used quite a few years of it with dd and never had any trouble with standardized test scores for math. I think it's a solid recommend. There are other good choices too, sure, but BJU is a solid choice, something flexible enough to work for a lot of kids. My ds has significant SLDs, which is the only reason I'm not using it right now.

:iagree:

We really like BJU math for the elementary years.  (I don't continue into middle/highschool because I prefer TT to take the teaching off my plate.)  The TM is a must.  It has all the *meat* of the program in it.  If you take the time before starting the program to print out pages and get things ready, it will be open and go.  A few examples say "have the students stand at the front of the class" but these are easily adjusted for a homeschool setting.  The manipulatives packs are very well done and I recommend them.  The review and test booklets have never gotten use here and I stopped buying them. 

For us, BJU math has meant no more tears! Both of my kids enjoy it. They like the stories and the manipulatives, and math has gone from being a struggle for my oldest to being a favorite of the day. For that reason, it's worth the extra expense (it's one downside) to me!

• Like 1

I really like BJU math for elementary ages.  I tried a ton of math programs and BJU was finally what I was looking for - a conceptual program with enough review and practice.  The CDs provide math facts sheets and I assign half a page a day.  My younger child has done the enrichment pages from the CD and those have been a good challenge for her.  I like that BJU uses manipulatives and has fun themes.  They want the kids to enjoy learning math.  We stepped away from BJU math for my older child this year because it was getting very tedious to teach at the 5th grade level last year.  I really like how clear their TMs are, but the lessons can get kind of drawn out and you have to know which parts you can trim.  That becomes more apparent after you've done the lessons in full for awhile.  But even doing that trimming at the 5th grade level, the lessons were just too long.  I felt my dd didn't need long, drawn-out explanations anymore.  And she didn't need the manipulatives work anymore.  But BJU gave her a great foundation to work from.

Hope this helps,

Kathy