Menu

Latin Readings Options

I am looking at other options for a Latin Readings class this coming school year.  My dd is currently at WHA, but their readings class time slot doesn't work for us.  We are familiar with Lukeion.  What other options are out there?  We are looking for something that will prepare her for an AP class but not be too intense because she has a lot of other commitments next year.

Edited by h2bh

Do you realize that the Lukeion Latin 3 class should only take about 5 hours a week if your student is really solid on their grammar and vocab (and isn't young for the class)? I have avoided Lukeion for the last 2 years because I heard it would take 10+ hours a week but when I spoke with Mrs. Barr about the time commitment for Latin 3 a couple of months ago, she told me it should be about 5 hours and we are finding that to be the case, though I'm sure it will be more the two times the class has to write a word study.

CLRC's Latin Readings class is also a very good option. Like you, I was looking for something less time-intensive and my dd spent the first half of the year in that class. The time commitment there is 3-5 hours a week. The teacher, Ann VanFossen, is very qualified, dedicated and cares about the students.

We wound up switching to Lukeion for the second semester because CLRC's class seemed easy for my dd and I was concerned that she would not be prepared for the AP exam next year. Now that we are doing Lukeion, it is clear that the CLRC class is a very good class as well. They spent the first half of this year translating the Aeneid and the Vulgate, but they use different texts each year. You also have the option of doing their Latin Readings class over 2 years instead of just one, since they vary the texts that they use.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

Thanks, OnMyOwn.  I was wondering about CLRC.  My dd is entering ninth grade, so I'm not sure if that is "on the young side" for Lukeion.  She took Latin 1 from them in sixth grade, and although she pulled an A, it took way too much time in my opinion.  I think it would have been great had she been older.  She has really connected with her WHA Latin teachers and their warmth of personality has increased her enjoyment of Latin.

My younger one did Latin 4 with Classic Academic Press when we had the same issue. Her brother did Latin 3 with Lukeion, and I would say that the CAP class is just slightly a step down from Lukeion but still very good. She got a perfect score on the NLE literature exam that year, and IMHO would have been very prepared for an AP class if she had decided to go that way. She ended up stopping Latin there though so that she could be an AP English Composition TA, which is more in line with her college goals. She will taking Spanish in college next year and plans to major in English with a concentration in rhetoric and professional writing.

• Like 1