Menu

Scholarship Competition Essay Topics - Take 2

Arch at Home

My DD will be attending a scholarship competition in a couple of weeks. The competition includes an interview and an essay. As she will not receive the essay topic/question ahead of time, we were wondering what types of question others have faced at scholarship competitions.

Thanks for your help.

Is it common for competitive scholarships that require interviews to also have onsite essays?

I thought my son would end up doing some of these competitive scholarship interviews, but he already accepted a spot at a university giving him lots of need-based money. He would do very poorly at an onsite essay since he has learning disabilities - most notably severe dysgraphia. He can write a very good paper, but it takes time.

I think the on site essay was common if interviews were required. It was for the school ds applied to.

These were in a scholarship weekend or all day type of competition. However, I am a bit skeptical of these weekends. I think they are a recruiting event as much as a competition in many cases. I suspect the big winners are already identified or at least the field significantly narrowed pre competition. But I tend to be cynical by nature :)

Essays seem pretty common as both of the competitions that DD was invited to included an essay. I agree that they are marketing events as they also include a full program for the parents. The competition is stiff but we are seeing it as a good experience in performing under pressure as some job interviews have similar formats.

Essays seem pretty common as both of the competitions that DD was invited to included an essay. I agree that they are marketing events as they also include a full program for the parents. The competition is stiff but we are seeing it as a good experience in performing under pressure as some job interviews have similar formats.

Oh I agree!  I think they are a good experience.