Menu

History with auditory learner - dialectic

It's becoming clear my ds12 is an auditory learner.  I have been trying to slowly get him answering TOG dialectic questions (I had the curriculum already) and am finding that he gets about half the answers if he reads the material himself and all of it if he hears me read it.  There is no way I have the kind of time to read or even part of his TOG history out loud every day.  I understand that eventually, he is going to have to learn how to learn from text, but what would be a nice curriculum compromise of auditory and learning from reading?  Am I looking at Sonlight?  What would help with this?  

Well....Sonlight is going to take a lot of time to read, also. I definitely think Sonlight is great for auditory learners. We were using Sonlight and I started getting audiobooks when we were doing it because the readings were getting longer, and I was reminded how much I am NOT an auditory learner, because I totally zoned out and then had nothing to talk about with my kids, lol. 

I think it would be really hard to do TOG with audiobooks. Probably some of the literature if you wanted. Which TOG year are you on? My son is on Yr. 3 and the dialectic readings from Abe Lincoln's World aren't too long, if maybe he could read some and you could read some, and find audiobooks for some. When you combine the history AND the literature AND the church history AND any supplemental history, it can add up. But, if you would be reading Sonlight aloud, would you  be willing to read some of TOG aloud? There's just more reading at this age anyway you slice it. 

Diana Waring has her very exuberant CDs that go with her history curriculum - History Revealed, I think? Never used that but I think that's supposed to hit multiple kinds of learners.

Edited by Guest

I have heard of auditory learners who actually had to read their work out loud to themselves in order to retain it. For one friend, this was the only way her daughter ever got anything to stick when she was studying. She had to go in her bedroom and read it aloud to herself. Maybe try an experiment where he reads a selection silently and tries to answer questions versus reading a selection out loud to himself to answer questions and see if it helps? It is hard for the parent to read everything and if the technique works it might help with college textbooks later.

SOTW - good for review, even if your dc already used it in elementary

Librivox - books read aloud, including many of the older books here http://www.mainlesson.com/.  My dc loved Our Island Story.

The Great Courses/The Teaching Company history series.  Yes, they are intended for adults, and high schoolers use them, but you may find some that would work for your middle school student.  ETA:  Libraries often have them, and Audible has them at very low prices.  Otherwise, you'll want to wait for a good sale.

Edited by klmama

We do Great Courses. My Ds 12 sounds much like yours. If he is stuck with a math problem all I have go do is say "tell me about it." Half way through, without me even saying anything, he has an a-ha moment just from hearing himself think through it.

The Great Courses Plus is the cheapest option I have found. It gives Ds a lot of choices. Normally I look through and watch one or two of a series which I think will fit, then assign from the titles and blurb various courses for a topic. In general, that means that for Ancients there were four series we used 30 Masterpieces of the Ancient World, Ancient Cities, Ancient Civilizations, and Global Perspective of the Ancient World (? something like that). Ds would write up blurbs of each episode he watched.

We used it for Chemistry alongside Apologia. We will use it for environmental science and physics too.

They have math, but that one is already covered.

It works well for us.