Menu

NMS - qualifying SAT scores?

DS made the PSAT cutoff, and I know that students need to take the SAT to verify qualifying PSAT scores for NMS.  My understanding is that the latest date the SAT can be taken for this is Dec. of the senior year.  I'm not able to find what SAT score is considered a verifying score.

DS rocked his ACT, so we normally wouldn't think of doing the SAT but for getting NMS.  I'm thinking he should take it in Nov. or Dec. since its not really needed for college admissions.  Is this logical?  And does anyone know what is considered a verifying SAT score?

• Like 1

Congratulations to your son!  If it were me, I would have your son take the SAT this spring if it fits into his schedule.  That way, if your son didn't get the score he needed, he would still have time to take it in the fall of senior year.  I don't know if the qualifying SAT score has been released yet by NM.  However, the qualifying score will not be greater than the Commended Cut-off score.

• Like 1

Snowbeltmom, do you mean the Commended Cut-off for the PSAT?  The PSAT is out of 1520, and the SAT is out of 1600, so I don't know how you can compare.

MarkT - I didn't realize that the cut-offs weren't officially out yet.  I'm just assuming he's fine - he scored 1510 (227 Index).

Snowbeltmom, do you mean the Commended Cut-off for the PSAT?  The PSAT is out of 1520, and the SAT is out of 1600, so I don't know how you can compare.

MarkT - I didn't realize that the cut-offs weren't officially out yet.  I'm just assuming he's fine - he scored 1510 (227 Index).

The official cut-off scores will be released in September, but your son will make the cut-off regardless of the state you live in.  Congratulations!

• Like 2

The simple answer is that you can compare them since they are designed to be directly comparable.

So if the Commended PSAT score is 1480, then a 1480 on the SAT should be sufficient to verify for NMS (even though they are not out of the same total).  Right?  Sorry, I don't know why I am dense about this. :blink:

Edited by rbk mama

I tried to find last year's confirming score. There was at least one person on college comfidential who had a confirming SAT score of 1430. Your son should easily get the score needed! Congratulations!!

We won't know what the confirming SAT score will be until mid-February when the Finalists are notified.  I saw 1460 somewhere (and can't remember where, sorry), but that is just conjecture.  Since we are dealing with the first batch of high school senior Semifinalists who are going through the process with the new (2015) PSAT, everyone is just guessing right now.

• Like 2

Last year's confirming score does not apply because it was on the 2400 scale. However, over on College Confidential someone reported being told over the phone by College Board that this year's confirming score is a Selection Index of 206, so actually lower than the Commended Score of 209.

And, in case anyone is wondering how to calculate a Selection Index for an SAT, here are two  methods from Compass Prep:

The Selection Index is double the sum of your Reading, Writing and Language, and Math Test Scores. For example, a student with scores of 34, 35, and 36 would have a Selection Index of (34+35+36)x2 = 210. Some students remember their section scores but not their test scores; the Selection Index is still easy to calculate. First, ignore the final zero in your scores; then double your EBRW score; then add your Math score. For example, a student with an EBRW score of 690 and a Math score of 720 would have a Selection Index of (69)x2 + 72 = 210. The two methods will always work because of the fixed relationship between test scores and section scores.

• Like 2