Menu

Webster's Speller Vs. AAS

ReadingMama1214

I know the two programs are different and that Webster's can be used to teach reading.

I was pretty set on teaching DD to spell with AAS, but then got looking at Webster's again. DD has about 50 lessons left in Ordinary Parents Guide which will get her to a 4th grade level decoding. I believe she'll need extra practice with multisyllable words which is what got me looking at Webster's.

If I use Webster's, I won't need another spelling program correct?

Also, how quickly do you go through it with a reading child. Would 1 lesson be 1 day? I am thinking that if I use it, I will have her write each syllable as I do it. I plan to write it on the white board and have her write them on HWOT paper. I saw the thread on a schedule for Webster's that ElizabethB did a while ago, but I would have to adapt it to our schedule and DD would be able to do the c and g sounds initially since she already knows the rules that apply to them.

Webster's also goes to a higher level so I didn't want to rush her. 

Our other option was to do AAS and I was going to buy levels 1 and 2 this spring to start with her. But Webster's is free and it seems like it would really tackle multi syllable words.

Webster's definitely improved the decoding levels of the dc I used it with but I did not feel like it was as good for spelling even though it is Webster's Speller. My one child just would not be able to write out that huge list of words and it would have taken much longer. I almost finished the multi syllable words with them this summer and then stopped. I recently had one child read some from it after a few months if not using it and it was easier this time. I think the decoding level might have went up even after not doing any more lessons. It did work for many who used it back in the day so I guess it could not hurt to try.

Edited by MistyMountain

I know the two programs are different and that Webster's can be used to teach reading.

I was pretty set on teaching DD to spell with AAS, but then got looking at Webster's again. DD has about 50 lessons left in Ordinary Parents Guide which will get her to a 4th grade level decoding. I believe she'll need extra practice with multisyllable words which is what got me looking at Webster's.

If I use Webster's, I won't need another spelling program correct?

Also, how quickly do you go through it with a reading child. Would 1 lesson be 1 day? I am thinking that if I use it, I will have her write each syllable as I do it. I plan to write it on the white board and have her write them on HWOT paper. I saw the thread on a schedule for Webster's that ElizabethB did a while ago, but I would have to adapt it to our schedule and DD would be able to do the c and g sounds initially since she already knows the rules that apply to them.

Webster's also goes to a higher level so I didn't want to rush her. 

Our other option was to do AAS and I was going to buy levels 1 and 2 this spring to start with her. But Webster's is free and it seems like it would really tackle multi syllable words.

Or you could do Spalding, which would require a one-time purchase of the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards--less than $50. Then you'd be getting spelling, learning-to-read, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple reading, all in one fell swoop. :-)

Or you could do Spalding, which would require a one-time purchase of the manual (Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards--less than $50. Then you'd be getting spelling, learning-to-read, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple reading, all in one fell swoop. :-)

She knows how to read fairly well and we plan to finish OPGTR. I'm not sure I have the time to really learn how to teach a Spalding. I definitely couldn't read the manual multiple times before starting. I'm in grad school and my reading time is pretty taken up with class materials. Otherwise I would do Spalding, but I'm not sure I can commit to a program that I need to learn before teaching. Webster seems a little more open and go

She knows how to read fairly well and we plan to finish OPGTR. I'm not sure I have the time to really learn how to teach a Spalding. I definitely couldn't read the manual multiple times before starting. I'm in grad school and my reading time is pretty taken up with class materials. Otherwise I would do Spalding, but I'm not sure I can commit to a program that I need to learn before teaching. Webster seems a little more open and go

It doesn't take any more time to learn to teach Spalding than it does to learn to teach AAS. I only mentioned Spalding because you mentioned AAS. :-)

My son is using AAS to work on spelling rules and WISE OWL Polysyllables to work on reading longer words. Wise Owl is very open and go - I just have DS read one page to me every day.

Wendy

Oh I forgot about Wise Owl. That actually seems like the perfect follow up to OPGTR. I mainly wanted a systematic way to do syllables. I had planned to do AAS and could easily add Wise Owl.

Do you have any pictures of the inside so I can get an idea of what it's like?

Oh I forgot about Wise Owl. That actually seems like the perfect follow up to OPGTR. I mainly wanted a systematic way to do syllables. I had planned to do AAS and could easily add Wise Owl.

Do you have any pictures of the inside so I can get an idea of what it's like?

The Amazon listing has a ton of sample pages under Look Inside.

It is simply 135 pages of words and sentences.  There is organization to the words, which you can read about on the Amazon sample.

Wendy

The Amazon listing has a ton of sample pages under Look Inside.

It is simply 135 pages of words and sentences. There is organization to the words, which you can read about on the Amazon sample.

Wendy

I'll have to try from my computer. On my phone the copy available through Prime doesn't give the Look Inside option. Maybe other listings do. I'll look around.

Don't you have to read the teachers manual 1+ time to really teach spalding? That's my main hesitation. AAS and websters seem more open and go

Of course you have to read the manual to learn how to teach it. :-) You should spend time learning how to use *any* product. :-)

Many children learn to read and spell with both AAS and Webster's, so if one of them appeals to you, that's what you should do. For the long haul, though, IMHO, Spalding is much more bang for your buck: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing, all with one manual and a set of cards, for as many years as you want to use it. Some time in the evening, reading through the manual with a cup of a tea and a pencil, leads to being able to open-and-go each day you plan to teach.

Of course you have to read the manual to learn how to teach it. :-) You should spend time learning how to use *any* product. :-)

Many children learn to read and spell with both AAS and Webster's, so if one of them appeals to you, that's what you should do. For the long haul, though, IMHO, Spalding is much more bang for your buck: reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing, all with one manual and a set of cards, for as many years as you want to use it. Some time in the evening, reading through the manual with a cup of a tea and a pencil, leads to being able to open-and-go each day you plan to teach.

I agree. But with Ordinary Parents Guide and AAS I didn't have to read an entire manual ahead of time. They were pretty self explanatory.

We're also afterschooling. Dd will go to K next year and have a formal handwriting program there (print and cursive) so while we do handwriting (HWOT) it isn't my focus a sense much as reading and spelling are. She'll be learning in Spanish at school so English language arts will be Done at home.

I am not familiar with AAS, but I am using Webster for multi-syllable work. The explanations for stressed syllables and organized words based on how that affects pronunciation is so helpful to my children. Conversations with my third-grader go something like this now:

"Mom, how would I spell 'about'?

"How many syllables do you hear?" (Sometimes I have to clarify for her)

"Two. Uh-bout."

"Ok, which syllable is stressed?"

"Bout."

"Ok, so 'how is 'uh' usually spelled in an unstressed syllable like that?"

Third-grader: "a!"

That's just off the top of my head, but that just shows how these lessons have given her the tools to figure things out. HTH, whatever you decide!