Menu

How do you fit in exercise if you don't do extracurricular sports?

The winter blahs have hit us here and I've been realising that I need to step up the pace with some exercise but I'm not sure how to fit it in or even what to do. It's been too icy to go outside much which is our usual go-to and we're not sports people. Even some 5 minute games would be helpful. I chased all my little around the table for five minutes today and they *loved* it. A little variety would certainly help me keep up my resolve. What do you all do?

• Like 1

We all help create an obstacle course/fitness trail around the house.  We will each pick two activities and then create a 6 item circuit.  It could be push-ups or sit-ups or chin-ups (we have a chin-up bar installed up high) or jumping on the mini trampoline 30 times or running on the spot to the count of 30 or jumping jacks or any such thing.  We usually do the circuit 2 times and that takes around 5 minutes depending on how things go.  

I also have taken so many fitness classes over the years that I can lead the kids through a mini fitness class and we often do.  I have lighter weights for them (1 pound, 2 pound and 5 pound) to use when I'm using the heavier ones.  We focus on using the weights appropriately and not stressing parts of your body - slow and steady. 

We have a game of twister that we pull out and play in the winter.  Stretching and yoga with youtube videos or just making up our own.  DD, 11, likes to lead those.

• Like 2

With my younger students, we take a "simon says" type of break for stretching and exercises. My oldest girls likes to read her lit while walking on the treadmill. Mini-tramp breaks work for my 2nd grader.  Sometimes, I include super light weights in our morning "stretching" to work on core muscles. I have one enrolled in swim class, another in ballet. But these classes are not daily - so we do what we can.

I found handouts through the Homeschool Freebies email loop for the exercises. They were organized by alphabet letters. But really, I just make it up as we go along since I have misplaced the handouts.

It is really hard to fit in time for us for this. I am still working on this too.

• Like 1

This time of year is great for skating, skiing, snowshoeing and sledding outdoors in Canada. We have such a long winter here, that getting outside and playing around is the best way to survive it. The alternative of staying indoors for 5 - 6 months is crazy-making. So bundle up the gang and get outside. It doesn't really matter what activities you do, because even just walking around with all the winter clothing and boots is a good work-out. And the little bits of sunshine you can take advantage of really helps one's mental health.  I also wouldn't worry about the ice with kids, as they're bundled up and well padded in case of falls. Also, snowshoes with little picks on the bottom provide excellent traction on pretty much any surface.

I just noticed in your siggy that you have a little one who is perhaps not walking yet. I used to pack up my little guys in a baby sled and pull them around the backyard. It's good exercise and they loved it.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

This time of year is great for skating, skiing, snowshoeing and sledding outdoors in Canada. We have such a long winter here, that getting outside and playing around is the best way to survive it. The alternative of staying indoors for 5 - 6 months is crazy-making. So bundle up the gang and get outside. It doesn't really matter what activities you do, because even just walking around with all the winter clothing and boots is a good work-out. And the little bits of sunshine you can take advantage of really helps one's mental health.  I also wouldn't worry about the ice with kids, as they're bundled up and well padded in case of falls. Also, snowshoes with little picks on the bottom provide excellent traction on pretty much any surface.

I just noticed in your siggy that you have a little one who is perhaps not walking yet. I used to pack up my little guys in a baby sled and pull them around the backyard. It's good exercise and they loved it.

The baby is easy to deal with outside it's the two toddlers. One of them has some gross motor delays and is exceptionally clumsy. Our yard is a slick ice rink at the moment. They seriously couldn't even walk for more than maybe two steps without slipping. I have to wear cleats on my boots to prevent myself from going down. The road isn't that much better. I could haul them around but they need some exercise too so that they can handle themselves while I attempt some school time (or dinner, or bathing, etc. etc.) with the older ones.

The baby is easy to deal with outside it's the two toddlers. One of them has some gross motor delays and is exceptionally clumsy. Our yard is a slick ice rink at the moment. They seriously couldn't even walk for more than maybe two steps without slipping. I have to wear cleats on my boots to prevent myself from going down. The road isn't that much better. I could haul them around but they need some exercise too so that they can handle themselves while I attempt some school time (or dinner, or bathing, etc. etc.) with the older ones.

Wow. With that much freezing, an actual backyard rink sounds perfect. Our problem where we live is that we don't have consistent cold to keep the ice from melting. You could go skating at a local arena, pond or lake. Play hockey or broomball on the ice. There are always places to skate and play hockey very affordably in Canada. You have to try hard NOT to skate in this country. 

• Like 1

Wow. With that much freezing, an actual backyard rink sounds perfect. Our problem where we live is that we don't have consistent cold to keep the ice from melting. You could go skating at a local arena, pond or lake. Play hockey or broomball on the ice. There are always places to skate and play hockey very affordably in Canada. You have to try hard NOT to skate in this country. 

We could go skating. Thanks for the reminder.

Around here it usually stays below zero for the winter with the occasional bit of melting. The melting just makes the compact snow develop an ice layer on the top. I always appreciate fresh snow because it covers the old ice and we can go for pleasant walks again. The children like sledding when it's icy. It's just terrible for me because I stand around and freeze. Maybe I should send my older two out sledding with the littles more often. They don't mind hurtling down the hill and landing in a pile of snow yet. :D

• Like 1

We watched the "Families of the World" videos several years ago. On the "Families of Russia" video, there was a scene in which the school teacher had all the children in the class stand up and stretch. Ever since then, we've done the same thing, LOL. I'll just say, "Russian Stretch Break," and the kids jump up and stretch, touch toes, do jumping jacks, run in place, touch the floor, stretch again, and sit down. Two minutes, and they are always laughing at the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Families-Russia-World-Mark-Marquisee/dp/B000AOEPR0

We have a treadmill in the garage that my oldest is allowed to use (on a slow speed). At times I assign her "20 minutes on the treadmill."

I have three girls, and they all enjoy putting on "fairy costumes," playing music, and dancing in the basement. They do get quite a bit of exercise that way, especially in winter.

We might, on a reasonably warm-enough day, go outside for a quick romp or walk in the back yard. Sometimes in the winter, we go to the park for an hour, especially if the day is sunny and not too cold. We can usually handle anything 20 degrees F and above, if we bundle up in layers and it's not super windy.

I keep hoping for snow (seriously, I do), so I can send them outside to play for hours in the snow. At the moment, we have had something like 20 straight days of overcast skies and off-and-on rain and wind, but NO SNOW (well, not enough to amount to anything). So this winter has been rather dreary.

If we had consistently low temps, we could build a backyard ice rink, but our temps go up and down and up and down. In fact, this winter has been a bit balmy at times, and quite wet.

I told them today that if they don't "get moving" tomorrow, I'm making them "do stairs." This means they have to go up the stairs and down the stairs several times, to get exercise. They generally do not like this, LOL, so I'm sure they will come up with their own creative ideas for exercise tomorrow! ;) One of my girls went right downstairs tonight and boxed on the boxing bag with her father. She was taking no chances! :)

If the back porch is dry enough, I send them out to jump rope. If the yard is dry enough (or not), I send them out to run laps around the back yard. I figure they will outgrow their muddy clothes, but continue to live in their bodies, so healthy bodies are a higher priority than clean clothes.

I may sign them up in early March for a once-a-week swim and exercise class for homeschoolers. That will depend on having the funds, since classes here are so expensive. I might (instead) purchase an exercise bike, which would allow my younger two (twins) to also get some regular exercise in the garage on winter/rainy days. HTH.

• Like 1

Right now we are using the Y and it has been awesome.  Ours is only 69.00 for one parent plus up to 3 kids.  You get one free lesson on how to use the gymn and to make a fitness plan.  You get unlimited use of the gym, and unlimited drop- in classes.  Kids 13 and up go to adult drop-ins.  That includes Barre (yoga plus pilates), several different types of yoga, pilates, and special cycling classes where the bikes turn different colors to tell you what to do, and one video-type cycling class where the computer tells you what to do, and much more, like Zumba, Aqua Zumba, etc. etc.  AND you get unlimited use of the lap pool. 

Little ones go to Kids Club for free up to an hour or an hour and a half per day.  Kids club is awesome, and you can research which Y near you has the "best" one if you have more than one Y.  

Also, you can get discounts on swim lessons, swim team and kids's sports and programs- so if your kids have an interest in martial arts, soccer or swimming, they can join.  In general (and this is totally generallized!) you pay about 50/mo per sport per kid- totally depends on the sport though.  

I swim laps and my daughter takes Zumba, swims laps and also she is trying out other classes.  

PS We grew up in a cold climate and my mom packed us all up to go outside every day no matter how cold, as long as it wasn't a blizzard.  She had a drying rack in the kitchen near the heater, for all the snowy items, and she would get us all dressed, and send us out the door.  When we came back asking for food or drink, she would open the door, hand us hot chocolate, and snacks and smile and shut the door.  It was awesome.  We never felt like the cold kept us from having fun and getting exercise!  Only your 3 youngest can't go out by themselves with the olders.  The 14 yo should split watching the 4yo half and half.  If they are dressed properly they should be able to stay out more than two hours.  THe only thing that'll really hold them back is the need to go to the bathroom! haha  

But, the Y is still a great option, since you have those younger ones that'll still be bored inside. My friend who is from Russia says, they take their little ones all bundled up and go for walks downtown, or walks outside.  They do not stay inside with babies.  They dress them properly, with wool on the inside in case the baby sweats, the wool absorbs the sweat.  Then on the outside the coat etc.  They check baby frequently to make sure baby is not sweating inside the hot clothing, and they do their thing.  Take walks, etc.

Also There is a Russian company that sells indoor play gyms that take only 6 feet of space up and go from your floor to your ceiling.  I almost bought one when we lived in South Florida.  My Russian friend is actually getting one this week.  When it is too hot or too cold, the little kids can play on the gym. You install a mat underneath.  They are awesome and have climbing ladders, and all sorts of neat things.

The malls nowadays have great indoor play spaces for toddlers.  You can give your teenagers a little money to spend ,and they can make a game of deciding where to spend it (pretzel?  Muffin?  Video arcade?) while your little ones enjoy the padded play area.  You should go there every week as a sort of treat, something to look forward to.  Explain to your teens if they get a treat they need to eat it away from the little ones, so you can save money by packing snacks for the little ones.

Libraries have the story times, do you go to the library every week?  It's not exercise, but it is getting out of the house.  Your teens can get books to read while your little ones enjoy the Story Time! 

For me the key is not only exercising but getting out of the house.  Everyone gets too blah when we are home too much. :)

• Like 2