Menu

AP Chemistry Prep Book with PAH AP Chemistry?

My daughter did not do the AP chemistry exam (she took the SAT subject test for chem), but did several other AP exams. The 5 steps to a 5 books are pretty good, but really any book geared toward prep for the AP exam will likely do the job. You are really just looking to fill any knowledge holes the class might have left, and get used to the testing format.

• Like 1

Normally I would say yes to a prep book for ANY AP test, and we like Barron's.  However, if you are doing ChemAdvantage/PAH you really do not need anything else.  He over-prepares the students for that test.  DS says he could have taken it in his sleep.  We had purchased a prep book, but he never opened it.  He got a 5 with zero prep of his own.

• Like 3

Normally I would say yes to a prep book for ANY AP test, and we like Barron's.  However, if you are doing ChemAdvantage/PAH you really do not need anything else.  He over-prepares the students for that test.  DS says he could have taken it in his sleep.  We had purchased a prep book, but he never opened it.  He got a 5 with zero prep of his own.

Thank you rbk mama, this is what I was hoping to hear! Nice to be able to save a few $. :laugh:

Not an answer to your question - but how is PAH AP Chem? We plan to take it next year. Any tips on anything to read/know before starting? 

Will this be your son's first chemistry class? I am not sure what preparation he has had and not sure how most people prep for this class. DS was a chemistry addict when he was younger and then did not touch chemistry for several years, preferring instead to spend time on physics (has 3 physics credits on transcript). He is doing very well in the PAH class now (high A so far) and does not seem to have any trouble understanding the material. He did say that Mr. Moskaluk is excellent at explanations and the class forum is very helpful too.

They are using the Chang chemistry text and a customized Advanced Microchemistry Lab kit. We did wait till DS's EF skills and fine motor skills improved before starting this course (he is delayed in fine motor skills, or else, he would have taken it last year).

I just asked DS and this is what he thinks will help:

• good Algebra 2 skills
  • good analytical thinking skills (he feels that anyone who is mathy should not have an issue)
  • having a Calculus background helps him figure out why certain equations are the way they are (understanding vs memorizing is important to DS but he says it really is not necessary to know Calculus)

Hope this helps!

I would also ask/ PM daijobu whose DD did this class last year. Her review is what convinced us to give this class a try.

This was my son's experience as well. 

• Like 1

Same experience here as well.  Also, if you have a child taking the SAT II exam as well, have him/her let Mr. M know as he will provide additional problems to prepare for that. 

• Like 1