Menu

Reminder: Submit Mid Year Reports for College Apps

Sebastian (a lady)

If you are done with 1st semester and have completed grades for any courses (like dual enrollment classes), remember to submit a Mid Year Report to any schools that want to see one.

I wrote up directions for doing this on the Common App last year.  I haven't checked yet to see if it has changed much.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/572479-common-app-after-the-school-report-next-steps/

Some colleges will want to see official copies of any college transcripts.  Others may be content with a copy uploaded with a homeschool transcript.  Contact specific colleges for what they want to see.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2

Do you re-calculate GPA based on mid-year grades? If so, how do you do that? DS has one course (a college course) that is completed, but the rest of his courses are ongoing. For example, let's say he's taking a 1 credit math course for the year and his semester grade is an A. Would I put that in the GPA as a 0.5 credit A?

It's possible that I'm overthinking this.

And keep in mind that you will need to send a final transcript at the end of this semester to the school your dc will be attending...

And why do I know this-they had to write and ask me to send it because I forgot (it was a busy summer).  A matter of moments to change the title to final transcript, add final grades, and put a graduation date.  Also, if there are any AP/IB/CLEP or other test scores being used, you might want to have them sent prior to orientation if possible.  Advisors wanted them during the first meeting-sometimes that is fall, other times it is over the summer.

I know I'm jumping the gun on this a bit but my brain is like a sieve this year.

For mid year grades-I was a bit odd, I tended to put "in progress" on year long courses since I only issued grades at year's end. For semester courses I showed a grade.  I recalculated GPA based on only those semster-long courses that were complete and did not include year long courses. I wrote up an explanation of what I was doing and why.  Keep in mind that I kept this grading method consistent across all four years. I can't remember if I offered a progress report on mid-year grades for incomplete courses or not or if I offered to answer any questions on grades.  Most schools dd applied to didn't seem at all bothered by this method.  With the mid-year report I also included some course changes to second semester.  I gave new course descriptions. (We had to switch some second semester courses unexpectedly due to some confilcts.)  I updated any test scores as relevant.

I only have grades for semester courses. For one son it was about 50%. The next kid had more semester courses. Actually he has no courses that run the whole year. Even his at home courses are specific semester long courses.

I did recalculate gpa to date, but I didn't estimate grades if they were in progress.