Menu

Improving Keyboarding after learning

Is there a good, and maybe even enjoyable, way to work on keyboarding skill (speed, accuracy) after a child has learned the basics.

He can touch type to the point that he doesn't even want to look at his hands when keyboarding for papers and such, but I'd like him to be faster.

I think speed comes with time and practice. The most important thing is form and accuracy. If there are still accuracy issues that would be good to work on. My kids use Touch Type Read and Spell, which we really like a lot. It might be more than you are looking for though.

This.  

Speed comes with time and practice but also form and accuracy.  If he is typing with correct form and accuracy (be positive that he is) then speed will come eventually with time and practice.  He needs to build up muscle and procedural memory.  The more he types (with correct form and accuracy) the better those connections will be.  (And we use TTRS too)

• Like 1

With mine, when I tried typing programmes and games they didn't respond well at all - they complained that it slowed them down because they had to think too much about what letters they wanted to type. I didn't bother at all after that and just let them type/play.

In time, just from Skyping each other or talking to other children within games they enjoyed, their typing speed and accuracy went through the roof. My eldest three type almost as fast as me now.