Menu

How easy is it to transition from Singapore to math mammoth?

vaquitita

I'm thinking of using Singapore for my son next year. I've used part of it before, and levels 1&2 are easy to teach, but I found the amount of book juggling to get beyond what I'm willing to put up with after that. I'm thinking I could switch to math mammoth for third grade and beyond? Would this be an easy transition? I could use math mammoth from the beginning, but Singapore seems more little kid friendly.

I use both programs for one of my kids who needs extra. The biggest change was the amount of problems. It took her weeks to get used to that. I didn't think she would ever stop complaining but eventually she did. It's significantly more problems per lesson.

I like that there are more problems and it moves more slowly. I have one that needs that.

• Like 1

We switched from SM to MM this year. I had to print out some pages from the previous grade level since the scope and sequence is different. I started out by having my ds do one page of each (or a page folded in half of MM and a full page of SM). He didn't complain once so I'd say it was a smooth transition. 😊

Edited by ChocolateCake
  • Like 1

The scope and sequence is different? Bummer, they looked pretty similar when I was looking at the samples. Maybe it would be easier to just start with math mammoth. My kid is using MUS alpha right now, so it's not like he's used to color and pictures. Lol

Chocolate cake- what area was it that you had to back up in? What grade did you switch?

Edited by vaquitita

I had to switch my DS from SM 5 to some MM "blue" single-topic worktexts for about 6 months at the beginning of 2015 due to a medical crisis in the family. I picked topics that were covered in the rest of SM 5 and in SM 6.

After things settled down, I did have him go back and finish the IP's and CWP's for SM 5 & 6 and then start AoPS Pre-Algebra. He didn't love AoPS, however, so after a few chapters I switched him to Elements of Mathematics. He's really liking that so I'm planning on keeping him in that series as long as it seems to be working.

• Like 1

The switch from Singapore to Math Mammoth was very smooth for DS in the middle of 3rd grade.   I am in the middle of 

the opposite switch for DD (MM to Singapore), also in the middle of 3rd grade, after realizing that she needs more challenging word problems than what MM has to offer. I had to introduce some MM 4th grade topics to catch up (e.g., long division.)   In my opinion, the strength of the Singapore program is word problems, and the strength of MM is clear, step-by-step procedural instruction. I imagine that we will be going back and forth between the two programs in the years to come. We have MM blue series, which is organized by topics, making it very easy to throw together a personalized supplement to Singapore.

• Like 2

I did part of SM 3A/3B and realized we needed a change. Part of this is because my ds had not mastered his multiplication facts and I didn't want to introduce long division yet. One difference I remember is the SM books had a lot of pages spent on conversions and MM gr.3 introduces rounding. It's not a huge difference in scope and sequence but my impression is that MM covers more topics in a year and I like that. There's a link you can use to print out extra worksheets if your child needs more practice. Also, the way my ds does his work is by me pulling out pages and putting them on a clipboard. This is a lot easier to do when using a downloaded curriculum (it's also easier for working in the car). I got the deal from homeschoolbuyerscoop so MM ends up much cheaper as well.

Edited by ChocolateCake
  • Like 1

The way my ds does his work is by me pulling out pages and putting them on a clipboard. This is a lot easier to do when using a downloaded curriculum

This is how we do it too. I was looking at the color printed workbooks at rainbow resource, to be more visually interesting for a young kid (if I print out myself it'll be b&w)... But my kids like having their days work on their clipboards. Hmmm. Though I could just cut the spine off.

Edited by vaquitita

We switched at the end of first grade and it was a smooth transition.

I bought the full MM light blue program (when on sale at homeschool buyers coop), so I just skimmed through the first grade level and printed off a couple pages on topics that DS had not yet covered fully.  Then I skimmed through the second grade MM materials and decided where exactly to start DS (and which sections we could skip) based on what topics he had already covered in Singapore.

Wendy

• Like 1

He's been doing Singapore 1a on the side of MUS alpha just cause it's fun, sit on Mama's lap and cuddle time (the textbook anyway). He's halfway thru 1a and will easily finish by the end of this year.

But now I'm thinking we will be forever messed up. Lol. If next year he does 1b and 2a... We typically take a few months off in the summer, so being at the beginning of a math mammoth level at the beginning of the school year would be nice because of the review section it starts with. Maybe if I get extra workbooks (ep, cwp) I could spread 1b-2a-2b over first and second grade and then he could begin math mammoth 3 in third grade.

I know it's impossible to plan so far ahead, but I can't resist. Lol. Even if I change the plan, I like having a plan in place. ;)

He's been doing Singapore 1a on the side of MUS alpha just cause it's fun, sit on Mama's lap and cuddle time (the textbook anyway). He's halfway thru 1a and will easily finish by the end of this year.

But now I'm thinking we will be forever messed up. Lol. If next year he does 1b and 2a... We typically take a few months off in the summer, so being at the beginning of a math mammoth level at the beginning of the school year would be nice because of the review section it starts with. Maybe if I get extra workbooks (ep, cwp) I could spread 1b-2a-2b over first and second grade and then he could begin math mammoth 3 in third grade.

I know it's impossible to plan so far ahead, but I can't resist. Lol. Even if I change the plan, I like having a plan in place. ;)

If it's any comfort, I pulled my oldest out of school over Christmas in second grade. She tested into SM 2A, so I have never been "on grade level". Even my boys, who had SM from the start have moved through the books at different rates. And I get bored and switch programs and then everything's all messed up. [emoji39] So I stopped worrying at some point and made my goal to just keep swimming.

DS11 is the first child to stick with SM through elementary school (but I'm super close to jumping to BA). He's on 5B, but he's covering some of the same topics that ds13 is getting in pre-algebra.

As far as your original question MM 4 topics were very similar to SM4 topics. DD15 made that switch when she was in 4th grade.

• Like 3