Menu

Planning for Latin...

If you have used the Form series for Latin, what did you do when you got to Fourth Form? Did you do it and then go on to Henle 2 or did you skip Fourth Form and do Henle 1? I have really been confused about the sequence, but finally figured it out after hitting the MP forums last night. You can do either Fourth Form or Henle 1, and then go on to Henle 2. DS is starting Third Form next week, but I have been self-teaching Henle using MP's study guides. I love the study guides, it's a good pace, but at that pace, it would be a 3 year course. I am tempted to have him do Fourth Form just to continue with what we're doing, and I love the Form Series but....

My dd is in Fourth Form. It uses Henle I as part of the program. So after she is done with it, she will go directly into Henle II. 

BTW, I had planned on her doing Fourth Form in 1 year, but we ended up doing it over 2 (one and a half so far.) She got a perfect score on the Latin I NLE exam last year, so I gave her a full credit for the year. 

I will give her a Latin II this year for finishing Fourth Form and taking the Latin II NLE this year. I will end up giving her Latin III for Henle II. 

That wasn't the original plan, but the more we got into it and I looked around, that seems to be common. 

• Like 1

My dd is in Fourth Form. It uses Henle I as part of the program. So after she is done with it, she will go directly into Henle II.

BTW, I had planned on her doing Fourth Form in 1 year, but we ended up doing it over 2 (one and a half so far.) She got a perfect score on the Latin I NLE exam last year, so I gave her a full credit for the year.

I will give her a Latin II this year for finishing Fourth Form and taking the Latin II NLE this year. I will end up giving her Latin III for Henle II.

That wasn't the original plan, but the more we got into it and I looked around, that seems to be common.

Thanks for answering. You said, "... I looked around, that seems to be common." Where do you look around? Is there a forum or some place on MP's website where I can figure some of this out? And the NLE... how, when to take that? How much Latin do you need to have? What does that give you? Life was so easy in Prima Latina, but as we get further in, it's more fun but I want to make sure I'm doing it right and getting the most out of this.
  • Like 2

Thanks for answering. You said, "... I looked around, that seems to be common." Where do you look around? Is there a forum or some place on MP's website where I can figure some of this out? And the NLE... how, when to take that? How much Latin do you need to have? What does that give you? Life was so easy in Prima Latina, but as we get further in, it's more fun but I want to make sure I'm doing it right and getting the most out of this.

Yes,  There are MP forums. Plus I ask and read on here, and I print out and examine the info on the NLE website. I actually even called MP last year for advice on placement and have purchased their study guides for the exams in the past.   For the NLE exams, they publish all of the old exams on their site, have a syllabus about what is covered on each exam, plus have some online practice questions for the kids to do.  So there really is plenty of free study material available.

I always did the Exploratory Latin Exams for my elem.- middle school kids, so moving into the NLE wasn't a big jump. Last year was my first year to do them. By looking at what was covered I placed each student where it looked like they should be. Much of what is covered on level 2 is stuff we were doing in Fourth Form/Henle I, but I didn't think my students had mastered it yet, so we did level 1, and it was a good fit. They all did well on it, and after more months working through it this year, should be ready for level ii this year. 

**** This is just what has worked here, not a hard and fast rule. I try not to overthink it, lol. I have just moved forward from where we are constantly and this is the plan that has materialized. 

I put some of my kids that had outgrown the ELEs but weren't in high school yet into the intro level to try it. They were partway through First Form last year. It was a big jump from the ElE for them, but they did ok. 

BTW if you are looking at doing the exams, you only have a little time. Students have to be registered this month. I think it is by the 20th. Don't quote me on that. I need to recheck and get mine signed up.  And FWIW, the MP series isn't enough for the exams. They cover a lot of culture and history and vocabulary that aren't covered in MP. So it takes some extra studying and reading.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy