Menu

How many APs...if any?

But, if the level of challenge is the same, don't you risk the same bad grade in the AP class? Either will be on the transcript for admissions.

If the student self studied, there would be no course grade or course credit to go on a high school transcript. If the score was high enough and accepted for credit by the college, it would appear on the college transcript.

Assuming we stay the course, and don't jump ship to do the CC-transnfer route,

My son will have 5 or 6 AP's upon graduation.  our PSP director really strongly encouraged my son to only take AP's in the areas he loves, and also AP Calc since he's going for a comp sci major. :)  He is a very hard working, careful and thoughtful about his studies.  Not extremely motivated but plugs away every day on time with an internal drive.  He is happy to call it "a day" however when he is done, he is done and he doesn't go super above and beyond.  

Anyway as it stands now he will take

AP Comp Sci (9th)

AP comp Sci principles (if we can find a course!) (10th)

AP Eng Lang (11th)

AP Eng Lit (he loves writing and literature to an extreme degree) 

AP Physics (after a year of regular physics) (12th)

AP Calc AB (12th)

In our area, this is definitely fairly normal and for his personality and workload it's do-able.  But I have definitely taken out all non-necessities from his transcript, and I've made as easy as possible some of the non-AP courses, he will take the super super easy Silicon Valley Online high school courses which require less than 25 minutes per day to get an A+.  So, where I am able, I am making things easy so that he can focus on and excel in his AP courses.  You will also note that other than Physics he will not take any AP Science because frankly it would just be too much for him.  He is taking the SAT Subject test for Biology but only because I couldn't find an online provider that was UC approved for him earlier in the year.  Now I know of at least two.  

What are you doing for US History, a-g approved? That's my final straw. We don't want to do APUSH (I hear it's time intensive and I just can't fit it in) so we're thinking of taking US History via WTMA and then take the SAT II US History exam... Anyone else with thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

If the student self studied, there would be no course grade or course credit to go on a high school transcript. If the score was high enough and accepted for credit by the college, it would appear on the college transcript.

Okay, I guess I view it as definitely being a class if they spend a school year on it, regardless of whether it's at home or elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Dd took AP Psych last year and is taking APUSH this year.  She loved both, but APUSH is definitely more time intensive.  

We couldn't recommend Mrs. G with AP Homeschoolers more!  She's very thorough, explains everything many times and is very clear explaining how to be successful on the AP exam.  Even if he didn't take the exam at the end, the class is well worth taking.  I'd be really surprised if he didn't end up wanting to take the exam.  Mrs. G also reviews a great deal before the exam.

If he felt as if he had a good experience, he could always take APUSH the next year.  

• Like 2