Menu

Can anyone review NOEO Science for me?

TheAttachedMama

We used level 2, all three packages. 

Pros:

everything came in a box. 

The reading schedules were nice, as was the emphasis on keeping a notebook. I liked that the internet links were already vetted and easy for my kid to get to.

We liked the living books.  Many ended up being favorites here.

Cons:

We did not enjoy the labs that came with.  I won't buy YSC on my own, because I found it pointless to do a lab after having the paper explain exactly what would happen instead of having an element of discovery.  The sea monkeys were fun, I'll give it that. And so was the terrarium, but for the rest, no, I didn't find value in them.  By the third year we ended up doing labs we found online instead.

I used one level, chemistry I think. It was the first level. First grade. The subject wasn't too exciting to read about for a six year old, who wanted to know why we couldn't get some sodium and see it ignite since the book says it ignites at room temp. She also quickly tired of narrations. The science kits weren't great either as I recall. But it would be different with an older child, I imagine.

• Like 1

We used Biology II.  I thought it was dry. My son didn't mind it, but he's a "get it done" kind of kid and he could just read and do his notebook page and be done. 

I have gone back to other packages often, but I just don't like their notebook pages, and I can't get past that.  I just feel like if I'm paying that much money for a curriculum, the notebook pages would be a little nicer.  They never tell you which one to use, which is probably because the child (or parent) should think for herself and make her own page, but my kid and I both needed more direction.  :) 

(all of that being said, I *might* use it next year for my 5th grader, but only b/c I already own it!)