Menu

building foundations of scientific understanding question

You can get a PDF of the first book for $5. I would look at that first to see what concepts they might be missing. Vol. 2 assumes some specific prior knowledge. But each lesson lists exactly which previous lessons are prerequisites, so it is pretty easy to move forward without having to do all of Vol 1 first.

You would be looking at volume 3. I would suggest getting a hard copy of volume 3, then taking it to an office store to have the binding cut off and a spiral binding put on (a few dollars) because you will want to flip through much and have Italy open to the page you want.

Buy volume 2. Either hard copy (my personal preference) or ebook. The topics build. You don't have to start in level 2, but you have to be able to fill in gaps for level 3.

Honestly, if you have 6th and 8th graders who haven't been living in a cave and have been exposed to the natural world, you can skip level 1.

• Like 2

I would get volume 3 for them, but also purchase the PDF of volume 2. It is here. http://outskirtspress.com/webPage/isbn/9781478769163

I don't think you will need volume 1, but be aware that conservation of matter and energy is stressed from the very beginning. If that hasn't been covered yet, teach it, and keep it in the forefront of your mind during discussions.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Start at book one and move upwards is what has been recommended and just move really quickly. We did that with our middle schoolers and they said it really helped make things

'clearer" for them. They said "yes" they knew of some of those things but never thought of thinking of things that way and classifying things. After that, science just kind of took off for them. Once they hit high school they have been amazing with science. Both are heading into science majors now. Mechanical Engineer and Medicine.  

We are heading back to BSFU for the younger kids again. Trying to fit it all in now.