Menu

Writing/Composition as a summer intensive?

We are really struggling to get writing done.  My older daughter is using WriteStart this year and my younger daughter is using IEW.  They both seem like good programs but we run out of time and I admit it's the first thing to drop in a crunch.

I've been kicking around an idea for the past few months that we drop writing until summer and then do an intensive writing class for a few weeks.  I'm thinking of how the IEW dvds were done in an intensive class.  That way they can just focus on writing.

Has anybody done a summer intensive in place of going slower throughout the year?  How did it work out?

I feel like writing and math have to happen very regularly in order to make good progress after a certain age. Of course, if you're getting in other writing across the curriculum, I feel like you could put off formal writing for a special summer unit, but I'd still be inclined to drop something else before I set aside writing.

ETA: Your sig says your 7th grader is also doing R&S. I'd personally be inclined to drop grammar before I dropped writing.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

I wanted to add that your kids are still young. I know many advocate doing LOTS of writing at younger ages, but the reality at my home is that we've never done lots young. We have done some very intensive writing in blocks and then done lots of copywork and easier writing off and on through everything else.

My kids have never done formal writing as early as most and my oldest three all write better than their peers - lots of reading, copywork, quality writing assignments (rather than quantity). While writing does take practice, with maturity large leaps can be made in writing (as opposed to math in which you can't ignore and then make large leaps).

I think it is fine to drop a formal writing program for now, as long as they are getting in lots of practice in other areas (like written narration on history).  If they are writing often in other subjects, you could provide feedback on those assignments rather than focusing on a designated writing program.  I second doing away with grammar first.  I dropped grammar with my oldest two weeks after school started this year, and we just focus on how she uses it in context.  If I notice a problem area, we spend a few days on grammar and then go back to her writing curriculum.

We are really struggling to get writing done.  My older daughter is using WriteStart this year and my younger daughter is using IEW.  They both seem like good programs but we run out of time and I admit it's the first thing to drop in a crunch.

I've been kicking around an idea for the past few months that we drop writing until summer and then do an intensive writing class for a few weeks.  I'm thinking of how the IEW dvds were done in an intensive class.  That way they can just focus on writing.

Has anybody done a summer intensive in place of going slower throughout the year?  How did it work out?

I like the idea. I can't say I've done it for my kids, but I went through the IEW teacher videos with a friend one summer. We did it over two weeks and completed all the writing assignments. With nothing else to have to focus on, I think you could accomplish a lot. The important thing is to probably not wait too long before doing some kind of review or refresher so they don't forget stuff.