Menu

Continue with Barton's or Switch to something else

Kenneth Lane is a former head of COVD, and he has a book on developmental vision that we sometimes suggest as a way for people who literally can't get it. Now he's developing these materials together with RFWP, and they're probably good. That questionnaire seems keyed to his products, which of course is really handy when your goal is to sell products.

The products are probably fine. I couldn't find samples. The challenge in this situation is making sure you've checked for foundational stuff and then actually making it happen. So I don't think it would be ideal to forgo an actual eval. You don't actually have a proper explanation of what is going on. 

Here were scores it kicked out when I answered about ds.

79 directionality

60 laterality

65 sequencing

72 gross motor

97 ocular motor

76 visual motor

68 simultaneous process

Oh, you must have had some scores that flagged as low risk. Ds had only one area (vision) that flagged as low risk, so he has more scores than your ds. But ds has standing diagnoses of ASD, ADHD, and SLDs. Most of that list was ADHD. Very little of it was really vision. And I'm cool with working on this stuff. RFWP will be at the convention next month, so I'll definitely look at it if I go. I'm sure it's good stuff! But I KNOW ds has retained reflexes. I know that these things (visual motor, etc.) are the outflow, the symptom, of the underlying neurological gaps. It's not mysterious. If you ain't got the foundation, you can't build.

That's my ds. Kicked out pretty similar numbers to your ds. I think that survey was pretty vague. I think it's intended to sell good stuff that will benefit kids. I think the guy is legit and the products are probably very good. However some kids are going to have foundational issues that need to be identified and worked on FIRST. And spending $100 on a great package won't mean squat if you can't get your kid to do it. And if you have a dc with SN who is discouraged and overwhelmed and dealing with a body that doesn't seem to be cooperating, you're likely to have a lot of can'ts, a lot of pushback, a lot of frustration. 

That's why it's good to get that eval in person, see what's really going on, not make assumptions. And during the gap, I'd be reading about retained reflexes. Literally just go to youtube and search for them, one by one. If you're a month out from appts, you could get some of them integrated in a month. You could just see.

• Like 1

Kenneth Lane is a former head of COVD, and he has a book on developmental vision that we sometimes suggest as a way for people who literally can't get it. Now he's developing these materials together with RFWP, and they're probably good. That questionnaire seems keyed to his products, which of course is really handy when your goal is to sell products.  Sorry, but that made me laugh.    Yeah, I would pretty much have to buy every single package. 

The products are probably fine. I couldn't find samples. The challenge in this situation is making sure you've checked for foundational stuff and then actually making it happen. So I don't think it would be ideal to forgo an actual eval. You don't actually have a proper explanation of what is going on. 

Here were scores it kicked out when I answered about ds.

79 directionality

60 laterality

65 sequencing

72 gross motor

97 ocular motor

76 visual motor

68 simultaneous process

Oh, you must have had some scores that flagged as low risk. Ds had only one area (vision) that flagged as low risk, so he has more scores than your ds. But ds has standing diagnoses of ASD, ADHD, and SLDs. Most of that list was ADHD. Very little of it was really vision. And I'm cool with working on this stuff. RFWP will be at the convention next month, so I'll definitely look at it if I go. I'm sure it's good stuff! But I KNOW ds has retained reflexes. I know that these things (visual motor, etc.) are the outflow, the symptom, of the underlying neurological gaps. It's not mysterious. If you ain't got the foundation, you can't build.

That's my ds. Kicked out pretty similar numbers to your ds. I think that survey was pretty vague. I think it's intended to sell good stuff that will benefit kids. I think the guy is legit and the products are probably very good. However some kids are going to have foundational issues that need to be identified and worked on FIRST. And spending $100 on a great package won't mean squat if you can't get your kid to do it. And if you have a dc with SN who is discouraged and overwhelmed and dealing with a body that doesn't seem to be cooperating, you're likely to have a lot of can'ts, a lot of pushback, a lot of frustration. 

That's why it's good to get that eval in person, see what's really going on, not make assumptions. And during the gap, I'd be reading about retained reflexes.   Literally just go to youtube and search for them, one by one.  If you're a month out from appts, you could get some of them integrated in a month. You could just see.

I am actually really looking forward to our appointment.  

It is a screening not an exam obviously. It does say to get an exam. I am glad this new source is out there if anything gets picked up from the exam although it can get expensive too if you try to get it for multiple areas. So far he has been flagged from the vision therapist in the first part of testing in the areas this has picked up on.

Edited by MistyMountain

I think I sent you a link with a list of retained reflexes to test. As long as you do that and take that into consideration, you actually *could* in theory go ahead and do some of KL's stuff. It's fine stuff. The challenge is if you get into it and it's hard (due to untreated OT issues) or have compliance issues. But just in general, I'm sure it's fine stuff. I have his dev vision book, and it's good, normal, solid stuff.

So say this is a replacement for VT, that gets trickier. VT usually has people working with flippers, 3D pages, etc., things you don't have just lying around. Maybe he has ways to replace those? Fine, it's possible. 

You could get several of his books for the cost of ONE VT session. There's certainly no harm in trying it and it's very possible it would do some good. I'm thinking I'll check it out myself, because they would make good compliance exercises for my ds. (We're always looking for ways to work on compliance and behavior, self-regulation, especially with things that DON'T involve SLDs or autism triggers like losing, lol.) It's just if you get into it and get pushback, then you have to back off or, even worse, deal with the consequences of him forming opinions about what he's willing to do. The dc is not 6. He won't necessarily just do everything you suggest, kwim? And my ds is super b&w and emphatic, so if a bad experience got paired to vision work, he would refuse vision work rabidly, making it hard to reverse that. And of course you don't know if you have underying OT issues without that eval or at least working on the things yourself.

So Misty, anyone, has there been a link with samples? I need to dig more.