Menu

Honors chemistry?

I have spent some time reviewing various curriculum linked on the HS chemistry board but I can't seem to determine the best fit for my student....next year.  She wants to study medicine in college.

She is familiar with chemistry and will be taking Algebra 2 in 9th. She is completing an online HS Honors Biology as an 8th grader so she is comfortable with labs, reports, schedules, projects and studying/taking for tests.  

I am hoping to provide her with a solid chemistry foundation for 9th grade.  She really enjoys doing labs, especially chemistry labs.  

I am looking for an honors level, secular, text based, video supplement, and many labs class which can be online or not. 

She is looking to DE for 11th and 12th and would take 100 level courses in Biology and Chemistry at that time so I am not looking for AP credit with Bio or Chem.

What I have considered:

I really like Chang textbook (I have it) however I am concerned about the reviews I have read with using "Dr. Tang's" site. I need more information about actual tests and explanations on labs.

Thinkwell demonstration units/labs look good however she needs a solid textbook, labs and tests.

She needs more than a regular class but not AP because her math won't be there. Help, any suggestions?

Edited by Jewels

You mention that she will be taking 100 level Chemistry and Biology as DE courses. If by 100 level, you are referring to the more challenging STEM college 1A courses, then I would recommend considering its equivalent college level prerequisite course as well. That is what we did this year for Chemistry and it worked out great.  Ds had an excellent experience with his first solid college STEM course and it prepared him well for the next level.

There is a "Chemistry Concepts w/Lab 100" at the cc but I was thinking more along the lines of the General Chemistry 140/141/142 courses for 11th or 12th.  I will need to consider your suggestion, interesting idea, thank you.  Is your student a high school junior? My dd would only be in 9th so I am not sure how that would work however I know it is possible.

There is a "Chemistry Concepts w/Lab 100" at the cc but I was thinking more along the lines of the General Chemistry 140/141/142 courses for 11th or 12th.  I will need to consider your suggestion, interesting idea, thank you.  Is your student a high school junior? My dd would only be in 9th so I am not sure how that would work however I know it is possible.

Our son is a sophomore and it was his first college solid course. He took other DE electives as a freshman as well as outsourced Physics (Clover Creek Science) and Algebra 2 (WHA). We carefully considered all options before going this route and it made the most sense for us. The keys to his success and positive experience were:

1. Having the solid math background

2. Doing Chemistry prep work during the Summer. I had him go through most of this free online Chemistry course - Berkeley eChem 1A:

Based on what you've described of your daughter's background, it sounds like she may indeed have the math and study skills needed. The secondary question you will need to consider is her maturity. I have two daughters who I am very protective of. So, depending on their maturity, I may or may not allow them to start college during 9th grade. However, I do feel like electives are a very good way to begin acclimating to DE.

One last thing to consider is doing Physics first. Then she could take Chemistry a year later when a little older and more experienced with outside classes.
Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

My dd was originally signed up for Physics with Jetta this year but also had Biology which was too much, so she opted for Biology.  I keep tossing between Physics or Chemistry for next year, but she wants Chem.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts....a lot to think about.  

She is very mature for her age however I am not sure I want to do the running around with her yet.  She's really busy with two instruments, year round softball, theater and science olympiad.  She wants to pick up debate in high school...urg, I can't wait till she can drive!

• Like 1

Dereksurfs--I talked with my dd about what your son did, she's totally excited by that plan....Physics 9th, DE Chemistry Concepts 10th.

I was thinking she could do a chemistry refresher prior to taking the DE Chemistry Concepts spring quarter.  She would be set to take the DE General Chem series in 11th or 12th. Thank you, I can now stop searching for a chemistry program. 

Edited by Jewels
  • Like 1

My dd was originally signed up for Physics with Jetta this year but also had Biology which was too much, so she opted for Biology.  I keep tossing between Physics or Chemistry for next year, but she wants Chem.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts....a lot to think about.  

She is very mature for her age however I am not sure I want to do the running around with her yet.  She's really busy with two instruments, year round softball, theater and science olympiad.  She wants to pick up debate in high school...urg, I can't wait till she can drive!

Yeah, that's a lot on your plate! Outsourcing definitely frees up some things like planning out everything yourself, grading, etc... Jetta is an amazing teacher. You can't go wrong there. We also started allowing ds15 to ride his bike to the CC certain days which helps with some of the driving. Although we were concerned with all of the traffic in and around the campus.

If she's that motivated to do Chem, maybe a self study program will work out for her. Although there are lots of logistics to work out including the labs, others have done it here. If given both options including all the work you'll have to do on your own, which would work out better for your family (driving vs. self-study)?

Edited by dereksurfs

Dereksurfs--I talked with my dd about what your son did, she's totally excited by that plan....Physics 9th, DE Chemistry Concepts 10th.

I was thinking she could do a chemistry refresher prior to taking the DE Chemistry Concepts spring quarter.  She would be set to take the DE General Chem series in 11th or 12th. Thank you, I can now stop searching for a chemistry program. 

That's great Jewels, I'm glad you have a path forward that works for both of you!

Since Jewlels has her answer, I want to hijack for a minute to tell Derek that it is good to see you back to posting regularly. Missed seeing how your ds was doing & getting your input on things.

Thanks RootAnn! I also enjoy hearing your input here quite a bit as well. I guess I have been out for a while. Sometimes when you're right in the midst of things you forget to check in. Having time off for Holidays, its a good time to evaluate things for the coming year.

All the best to you and your family in the New Year!  :)

Edited by dereksurfs

Oh man.  Wish I could help.  I'm the opposite from you.  I'm looking to back off in intensity for chemistry next year, so I've nixed and then ignored anything labeled honors.  

I've spent 9 hours now researching regular chemistry books/classes.  I thought I was done at the 5 hour mark and then after reading a bunch of positive reviews, negative reviews came in and made me change my mind.  If only I'd been researching honors level stuff, I could have shared all my notes with you.  

(Sorry, no point to this post other than I'm here with you in Chemistry Land getting cross-eyed from all the staring at the computer screen I've been doing and feeling a compulsion to post on your chemistry thread.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2