Menu

Story of the World and St. Patrick

goldenecho

I have wanted to do a unit on St. Patrick for a while. Since he was a missionary during the 2nd have of the 5th century (so, around roughly 450 - 500 AD) both Volume 1 and Volume two cover that period a little, but neither covers him specifically. We do story of the world with a co-op and don't even get to Julius Ceasar until the week after St. Patrick's Day (which is on Spring Break for us), and the period which covered in Volume 2 comes early next year, so by St. Patrick's day we would be well past that. So, question, which do you think would be the best place to try to fit our study on St. Patrick in? (And I'd also love to hear your reasons why?)

1. Do it on St. Patrick's Day this year during Spring Break, as a preview of what's to come.
2. Do it a few weeks later after we cover Constantine and Rome's becoming a Christian nation.
3. Wait until next year and do it when they cover the Celts of Britain.
4. Do it next year on St. Patrick's day, even though we'll be well past that time period.
5. Fit it in somewhere else?

We talked about St. Patrick with the Celts of Britain chapter in September. For us, it underscores the fact that St. Patrick was a real person and gives some context about the times he lived in. He is a patron saint within our family, so we always have some sort of special recognition on his feast day. I became really impressed with Patrick after listening to How the Irish Saved Civilization on audiobook.

• Like 1

I'd do #3 because it just makes so much more sense in the historical context. Doing it any time outside of March also has the added bonus of a greater selection of library books. There's also a huge disconnect between the way it is celebrated by most of the general public and the religious feast day, at least in my neck of the woods. I suppose that may vary in areas with different heritage and religious culture, but at any rate, I wouldn't jump through hoops trying to study him on the feast day.

ETA: I also give two hearty thumbs up to How the Irish Saved Civilization.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 2

Thanks knitgrl and Syllieann!   And that's so funny...I actually have the book "How the Irish Saved Civilization" but I haven't read it yet.  I was making an order through Christian books and it was on sale for like a dollar and I thought, hmm, that's an interesting Title so I picked it up but haven't read it yet. 

I'd do it this year during Spring Break b/c you're excited about it and that will spill over into the study. Then you can reference him again when you get there in history. Not everything your kids will learn will be linear. 

Also a book rec: I read Michael McHugh's Saint Patrick in one sitting (though it will be a multi-day read-aloud for kids) b/c I was so intrigued by his story. He is definitely fascinating and the today's skewed St Patrick's day celebrations don't even touch on his real contribution. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Saint-Patrick-Pioneer-Missionary-Ireland/dp/1470891719.