Menu

Ordinary Parents Guide to AAS

ReadingMama1214

I've been looking over spelling curriculums and I'm leaning towards AAS for my 5yo. She's about 95 lessons away from finishing Ordinary Parents Guide. Would you start spelling now (in the new year) or after she's done with the phonics book since she's young?

She'll go to K next year but it will be 100% in Spanish (native English speaker and reads and writes in English). I plan to do spelling after school. But I don't want to do nothing between finishing OPGTR and the school year in August.

I waited until after I finished reading instruction with both of my older kids before starting All About Spelling, though I only used OPTR with my second. I wanted to keep school short when they are little. Especially for my kid who went through OPTR, I wanted to give his handwriting more time to mature to the point where he automatically formed his letters correctly.

I agree, if she's got basic letter formation down, you could start her any time now. Here's an article on the right time to start AAS. Have fun, sounds like she's doing well with reading!

Thanks. And I've seen somewhere that WTM recommends starting spelling after lesson 115, but I couldn't find it online. And I wanted to wait until she was 5. She's still in preschool, but I feel fine starting in January. She won't get any English spelling if she goes to the immersion school next year for K