Menu

DAILY online algebra that meets these requirements?

What options would meet my criteria for an algebra 1 class?   

• Daily class (at least 3-4 times a week) - live online with recorded lessons available afterward for when our schedules don't coincide.
  • Experienced teacher who clearly explains the topics, assigns a reasonable amount of work, and is available for tutorials as needed
  • Standard mathematical vocabulary and procedure taught

Can you recommend anyone for this?

LiveOnlineMath.com has live algebra classes 3 days a week. http://liveonlinemath.com/classes/alg.html

(They also offer recorded classes only, and a third option that uses mixture of live and recorded classes every week, all at different prices.)

My son was enrolled with them for one class and we were pleased with the experience. We switched to something different only because the teacher used built-in spiral review in the assignments and it was more review than my son wanted/needed. But it might be a great fit for others. We found the instructor, John Bovey, to be very responsive and helpful, with clear instruction. They offer a free trial.

The virtual homeschool group has this but they only enroll students in their live classes at the beginning of the year (you'd have to get info on it and get in on it mid summer). The algebra classes use Saxon older editions and live, teacher-led classes are 4x per week with the student taking the weekly test on the 5th day. There are free at-your-own-pace math courses that can be started any time that are almost the same thing except the student would watch a short video instead of attending a live class. All homework and exam work (for both types of course, AYOP and live) is done online and is auto-graded. The AYOP courses would require the student to be more attentive to the book.

I wonder if it's even possible to get into the virtualhomeschoolgroup live classes.  I tried on the "opening day" this year.  It still had the "registration coming Aug. 1" page up most of the day, and then there was a notice that the live classes had been filled in early registration - I assumed that meant that the families registered in live classes the previous years had priority registration and had filled those classes again.  Maybe I'm wrong???

Derek Owens looks really good, but this dc wants the competition found in a live class by being one of the first to finish, come up with correct answers, etc.  That sort of thing really motivates dc. 

LiveOnlineMath.com looks like it might be the best fit of these options. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions we should consider?

I wonder if it's even possible to get into the virtualhomeschoolgroup live classes.  I tried on the "opening day" this year.  It still had the "registration coming Aug. 1" page up most of the day, and then there was a notice that the live classes had been filled in early registration - I assumed that meant that the families registered in live classes the previous years had priority registration and had filled those classes again.  Maybe I'm wrong???

Derek Owens looks really good, but this dc wants the competition found in a live class by being one of the first to finish, come up with correct answers, etc.  That sort of thing really motivates dc. 

LiveOnlineMath.com looks like it might be the best fit of these options. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions we should consider?

If you really want to get into the virtual group classes the best way is to contact the director early in the summer and figure out something that you can do to contribute to the co-op. It can be course development, teaching, moderating, or even grading. That would get you into early registration and you could enroll your kids in live courses. They have an active FB group (look for the link on the home page) that has more information.

We've used Derek Owens and Wilson Hill Academy for math and liked them both. However, DO has no interaction while WHA's live courses are really excellent in that regard.  Though WHA only meets twice a week, the class sessions last for 90 minutes which cover a lot of ground. In addition, they offer online discussions which add to the interactive component. I've heard good things about WTMA's live courses as well. 

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1