Menu

Adding to MFW's high school World History curriculum

If you have used MFW's high school programs and have added additional material to them, could you please share what you added to the World History (10th grade) course?

We are long-time Sonlight users, but I switched my DS to MFW for 9th grade because I really liked the sequence and the fact that history, Bible, and English are all integrated.   On the surface, it looked as though it would be "enough" for us, but as we've gotten through the first half, I don't feel like DS is spending enough time or going into enough depth to justify high school credit.   He is a voracious reader with very good comprehension, is a solid writer, and knows his Bible.   He had already read most of the additional recommended books in the lesson plans, so we are working through the list of high school reading in the Stobaugh SAT prep book for additional literature.   Literary analysis and interpretation seem to be DS's weakest areas.

We are wrapping up the first half of our year, but when we start back in January, he'll be starting The Iliad, and I've decided to add the Memoria Press student guides and DVD lectures for The Iliad and The Odyssey.   I think these will add the depth that I am looking for and will enhance his understanding and ability to analyse and write critically about these particular books.

Looking toward next year, again I like the sequence and content of MFW's World History program, but I wonder if it's just going to be "enough,"  especially in terms of literature and writing.    If you have used this program and have added to it, could you share what you added?    Even if you haven't used this specific curriculum, if you have some suggestions for me, could you share?

Thank you!

To give context to my post, it may help to hear how it is going in college for my oldest. I would think it would help to hear those end game stories. 

We have used MFW since 2003. Oldest used it from second grade through grade 12. I hate shopping so I just bought the next package each year and made it work. Oldest is gifted academically.  She worked quickly in school work. Always done fast. My oldest used MFW the entire time in high school (and in grades 2-8) and yet, we added very little in terms of academic workload. I had no problem giving the credits that MFW suggested for high school. Last week my oldest has just completed third year of college and I’m finding myself even more saying that MFW was fine as written. It’s taken me mid way through her third year to finally chill out that I didn’t mess up high school too much. She's a double major in engineering (electrical) and computer science.  Has earned 81 semester credits and holding 3.96 GPA.(out of 4.0 scale)  6 of those credits were from CLEP in order to get credit for Gen Ed Literature. She’s in engineering honor society, active in professional student organizations, and has an internship in her field. Still likes to play geek games.

with that context out of the way,

I do know that some people add a lot to MFW. And that’s ok as we’re all different. I did not add all that much to be honest. We avoided the “stobaugh†reading list, and instead let her enjoy fiction that she wanted to read from current popular stuff at library.

My suggestions for adding to English credit during AHL if you think you’re not doing enough would be to make sure you are doing every possible discussion question in the Lit Supplement. Those can be out loud (to help with future college discussion courses) or require him to write it. The next time for that will be during Odyssey. During Iliad, do not over look the daily journal assignment. It’s ok if you want to do more questions on the Iliad, but don’t overlook the journal assignment. You have opportunity there for important stuff. Another thing to consider adding to the English credit: ACT/SAT prep work from real practice tests (not that stobaugh book). Go ahead and toss in practice essays with the current format.

In AHL, in terms of adding to Bible. Don’t. I mean you’re already reading the entire Old Testament in a school year, and having some basic thought questions as you go along. Add by being involved in service and community within your church.  That suggestion comes from my oldest. Why?  This summer she took her required religious studies Gen Ed class at her college.  It was OT study.  She was more than prepared for a 200 level religious studies course from what was in AHL. So that's her perspective. and she told me in the summer that if anyone asks about adding to AHL, she doesn't think it's needed. It's solid prep for that.

For history in AHL and WHL: I have heard people add Spielvogel Western Civ and some CLEP test prep and do well with it. I did not go that route. But it’s one that was sometimes suggested from other mfw users on their message board.

WHL: to add to English: during first semester, it will seem light to advanced students. So do both the research paper, and all of that extra reading in the back of the WHL lesson planner and even some of the movies if you can find them (or was the movie list in US2?).

Again, add in ACT/SAT practice tests. Enjoy the extra assignments in Writer’s Inc as you go along. Understand the way the lit analysis works in WHL. You’ll focus on one aspect in a novel. Then another aspect in another novel. So you have time to do more with fewer aspects. During grade 12, they'll do all of those analysis pieces for each novel.

To add to history in WHL: again, see the possible CLEP suggestion I gave with Western Civ.

To add to Bible/history: use the optional book, Church History in Plain Language. Even my strong reader had to slow down and needed help to process all of that.  That's not a high school textbook.

In US1: I didn’t see a need to add to English that year. She was getting sick and tired of reading novels for school. That was the year she made the decision that she’d rather CLEP if she could for Gen Ed Literature in college. Actually got around to the CLEP test the summer after her college freshman year and still passed easily from only doing mfw.

US1, history add to: at end of year, do the REA guide for CLEP.

The Gov’t credit: I wasn’t looking to add. I wanted a basic, no frills approach and that’s what MFW offered.

Bible: my child was getting burned out on religious studies. I backed off in both US1 and US2.

US2: English. y’all get to laugh. We didn’t do the research paper that year. She read the novels. But I didn’t make her write about them. She was more focused on her electives and thinking about college. If you want to add to that year, just go the dual enrollment route. It was almost a gap year in some ways while still in grade 12. almost, but not quite. grin. Yes, she still got A's in college English comp.

Bible: as I said, I had to back off and stop requiring it as a subject with her.

History: you can clep prep again, right? But I didn’t.

Econ: I really liked that course. I felt it was perfect prep for her college humanities courses. Lots of reading from source various articles. Be ready to discuss on Friday.

Oh, and each year? We made sure we were doing current events discussion. These days MFW includes some current event mag from conversation perspective.

I hope some of those experiences help give you ideas to individualize your school time. and let you see where one student who used mfw ended up.  Mileage will vary greatly of course. I know others who use MFW and add lots to it.  I know some who used mfw and didn't do great in college.  Hope something in there sparks an idea for you to succeed.

• Like 2

To give context to my post, it may help to hear how it is going in college for my oldest. I would think it would help to hear those end game stories. 

This is very helpful.   Thanks!   I need to hear that so I can balance the conflict of "This is enough" with "Is he really doing high school level work?"

I appreciate your other suggestions as well.