Menu

Ok, I think I am good for 7th, questions, comments, your plans?

Lizzie in Ma

The Thinking Toolbox

Training Hearts Teaching Minds

Lial’s Basic College Math 5th edition

Lightening Literature and Warriner’s English Grammar (978-0153117367)

Latin Prep Book 2.

American Sign Language ( God willing the classes we are in now will continue)

World History 1: Creation to the Fall of Rome I was going to move into Reformation and Early Colonial because that's where we are but she wanted to do SOTW with her little sister so I will juice it up with Speilvogel’s Human Odyssey because I already own it.

American History

Using still The Artner Reader’s Guide to American History we are moving into 1946 to present day. All we have been doing is reading the Landmark books chronologically but I think I will add in the odd composition using IEW's US History Theme based Lessons Volume 2.

Apologia General Science with Live and Learn's lapbook

Fine Arts

Continuing studies in vocals, piano and worship guitar as well as music theory.

We will also be using Art, A World History, DK Publishing and art projects relating to our studies in history. I also have a few misc materials for composer, artist and hymn studies.

still using Typing Instructor Deluxe

Here's my plan for 7th grade next year:

Ominibus I

R&S Math 8

R&S Grammar 7

CW Homer B & Poetry for Beginners B

Wheelock's Latin IA

Homeschool Greek Vol I

R&S Spelling 7

R&S Artpac 7

Overall, I think your schedule looks good; maybe a bit heavy on history for me. I'm just curious why you are doing World history and American history? Also, I'm not familiar with Training Hearts Teaching Minds. Can you explain a little bit about it?

That sounds challenging and cool! :)

We'll be tying up some loose ends and then heading in a new direction. We are going to be finishing Sonlight 5 and A Beka 6 math. When we finish, we are going into Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra and the booklist at Ambleside.

Journalism is our background and our 7th-grader is very interested in learning more about the newspaper business, so if DH decides to teach a news writing class at the local university, we may have E audit the class. We're going to learn from Strunk and White's Elements of Style and the AP Stylebook. We'll visit a friend of ours who is a newspaper publisher and another who is president of a company that publishes both a newspaper and a regional magazine.

The goal is the learn the business from all angles, and that may take more than a year and won't be a "formal" curriculum. We have friends in several aspects of the business, so he will be able to shadow a reporter, a design editor and a magazine editor and possibly work in the press room. We'll also have him interview our favorite journalism professor, now retired, who tells some terrific stories about covering the Civil Rights Movement for Newsweek.

And of course, he will write a bunch!

Math - Dolciani Pre-Algebra

Latin - Galore Park Latin Prep 2/3

Classical Writing Aesop B/Diogenes/some kind of creative writing/some kind of poetry

Piano

Year 3 history - early modern, emphasis on American history, either History Odyssey Level 2 or WTM-style. Whatever we do, I know we will have him read Common Sense and Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?

Maybe Elementary Greek.

Maybe Rosetta Stone Spanish

Literature of my own devising.

Famous Men of Rome (2nd time through) and Antigone (classical studies)

Boy Scouts

Singapore Interactive Science

Logic - ?

I went to a seminar on homeschooling through high school, and it has me thinking a lot more about 7th and 8th grade plans. My plans for 7th:

English - R&S English, literature study from Omnibus, IEW and Classical Composition

Math - Jacob's Algebra

Latin - ?? (Henle?)

Greek - Elementary Greek 2

Science - BJU Earth & Space Science

History - Omnibus I

Logic - Critical Thinking I and II

Religion - Omnibus I, New Testament study

Music - flute lessons, theory

Art - art lessons, art history in Omnibus I

Phys Ed - swimming and ballet

Typing/ Computer Skills

Home Ec