Menu

College applications:What is the difference between all these?!?!

Sharon77

I am dying.

I've searched these boards and all over the internet and I still can't figure this out.

What is the difference between:

1. Counselor Letter

2. Secondary School Report

3. School Profile

???

And the schools that he is applying to are asking to know why we homeschool, how we went about it, etc etc.

Where does this info go?

Thank you to anyone who can clarify this for me!

These are Common App terms, so they only apply to the schools that take that.

The Secondary School Report is the part of the Common App filled out by the high school (i.e. You)

Within the SSR is the Counselor Letter or Counselor Recommendation, which is where you write the letter of recommendation for the child and the School Profile which is where most of us wrote about how and why we homeschooled. However, the school profile is optional and you may put it in the Counselor Letter if you prefer.

The nice thing about doing a school profile is that you can attach that to your transcript even for schools that do not accept the common app. Not all schools want or accept extra letters.

• Like 2

These are Common App terms, so they only apply to the schools that take that.

The Secondary School Report is the part of the Common App filled out by the high school (i.e. You)

Within the SSR is the Counselor Letter or Counselor Recommendation, which is where you write the letter of recommendation for the child and the School Profile which is where most of us wrote about how and why we homeschooled. However, the school profile is optional and you may put it in the Counselor Letter if you prefer.

The nice thing about doing a school profile is that you can attach that to your transcript even for schools that do not accept the common app. Not all schools want or accept extra letters.

Thank you!

How long is a counselor letter? It seems people say all different things...

The posts within this thread (and the linked other threads) may help.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/622012-big-common-app-thread-for-2016-17-with-links-from-2015/

In general, the School Profile is information that would be the same for any student at that school.  For a public/private school student, it provides information about school size, course offerings, grading policies, student and community demographics, and characteristics of the school.  You can find some school profiles from public and private schools if you search for the school or district name and "school profile"

The counselor recommendation is specific to that individual student.  It might provide information about characteristics of the student that make them a good prospect for college.  It might address problems the student has overcome or provide information about academic choices made by that student.  

For our family, the school profile was very similar for my older two kids, but the counselor recommendation talked about their individual strengths and accomplishments.  I kept the profile at 2 pages and the recommendation at 1 page.

• Like 1

How long is a counselor letter? It seems people say all different things...

I'd go with 1 to 2 pages, the normal length of a LOR. If possible, keep it to one page. Nobody wants to read long letters, and the admissions staff have thousands of applications to review.

Edited by regentrude