Menu

Giving social security # for dual enrolled student

One of our kids is dual enrolled through the p.s. at our local junior college. We just received a letter from the junior college asking for student's social security number for their financial forms and threatening a potential fine from the IRS for non-compliance.

What sayeth the hive?

Thank you!

Edited by TwoEdgedSword

One of our kids is dual enrolled through the p.s. at our local junior college. We just received a letter from the junior college asking for student's social security number for their financial forms and threatening a potential fine from the IRS for non-compliance.

What sayeth the hive?

Thank you!

I've seen those letters (only for insurance companies).  They are required to ask and do so in a way that suggests you are required to do this and that dire results will occur if you do not.

No, you are not required to provide a SSN to a school for enrollment. I have never done this, including for a high school student enrolled directly in university classes.  Not sure if you are applying for financial aid for this child (it doesn't sound like it).  If not, tell them to take a hike.

You will receive a 1098-T only if you had out-of-pocket payments, whether paid by you or with a loan, for “qualified educational expenses.†  IRS Publication 970 defines "qualified educational expenses" as tuition, fees, and books.  Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

No, you are not required to provide a SSN to a school for enrollment. I have never done this, including for a high school student enrolled directly in university classes.  Not sure if you are applying for financial aid for this child (it doesn't sound like it).  If not, tell them to take a hike.

You will receive a 1098-T only if you had out-of-pocket payments, whether paid by you or with a loan, for “qualified educational expenses.†  IRS Publication 970 defines "qualified educational expenses" as tuition, fees, and books.  Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

But for the 1098, the school needs to have the SSN, doesn't it? The college is required to file the 1098 for each student enrolled for whom a transaction exists.

And most people do have educational expenses. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Yes, for tax stuff.

I can also tell you that the state community system I work for uses it to do a criminal background check. It gets buried in the details, but that's been a requirement since the Virginia Tech tragedy. They look twice at students with violent convictions, and flag students with convictions for drug crimes although they do admit them. Students convicted of sex crimes are flagged and reported in an open report on the college website if it involved a minor. If the professor has a student on the open report and minors in the class, they also report that to the professor.

• Like 2