Menu

All About Spelling in a workbook?

Tawlas

I have four children, three of them grade school age.  My oldest is moderately dyslexic and dysgraphic, my second eldest mildly dyslexic and dysgraphic, and my third (2nd grade - but reading about 6th grade) is advanced academically but is pretty typical for a seven year old boy as far as focus goes.  Because I can't simply assign a chapter and have the olders write their narration my days are pinched for time!  I use AAS with the two oldest children but couldn't fit it in with the third this year.

He uses Learning English Through Literature (i think?) which has a few lines of copywork each day and a grammar discussion.  I think I'd like to do spelling more deliberately with him as I feel like if he was exposed to spelling rules and practiced a little, he'd be a stellar speller.  He's done 1 1/2 levels of AAS in the past and I know that has helped him.  What program is similar to AAS in that it introduces one thing at a time, explains the rules, throws in a few "jail words" but is in a workbook he could do indpendently.  I think for him AAS is overkill, but I love the rule based approach.  

I've looked into Sequential Spelling, Spellwell and Phonetic Zoo.  Any comments on any of those, or other programs?  Phonetic Zoo is more upper level, from what I understand and the website recommends completing level 2 or 3 before starting.   I *may* be able to figure that out if it was short term.

I bought Spelling Power.  It's not a workbook, exactly, but it does have a workbook to fill in as the child goes.  The set up is like this:
Test on misspelled words from previous work (teacher driven, 5 minutes)

Work on assignment - write down rule at top of paper, study new list of words including words misspelled (done alone, 5 minutes)

Activity box work - hands on or multisensory assignment/game (done alone, 5 minutes- good to keep the AAS tiles handy)

I ended up lending the program to a friend and her daughter took to it right away.  It's working well for them so far.  It's also a one time purchase, with only a new workbook to buy each year (or print from the copies in the book)

I love AAS but simply could not keep up so many levels with so many kids.

Dd11 did AAS 1-4 and the switched to rod & staff 4-6, I now have her doing Megawords.

Ds did AAS1-3 tried PZ (which did not work here) and is now doing Megawords.

Dd6 is currently on AAS2 and will complete AAS through level 3 and the move onto Megawords.

I think AAS1-3 then to Megawords is our sweet spot. MW is a lot like AAS and the syllabication work is outstanding. The kids have to slow down and think about the spelling for the activities-- something that wasn't happening for dd in R&S, and PZ had not activities-- just days and days of Ds writing the words wrong, 🙄

• Like 1

Thanks for chiming in ladies!

I'm going to look into both of these programs.  Not sure our school room (or is it just me?!)  can handle another activity box lol but we'll see!  I know I've come across Megawords before but I thought it was for older kids.  Honestly, I quit doing AAS 2 with him last year because he was about to overtake his older siblings.  They've had time to progress, maybe I'll pick it back up again for a bit and let the LETL slide for a bit.  Goodness knows he reads enough on his own!

THanks again!

Phonetic Zoo is very independent, which is one of the things that drew me to it.  I started my accelerated reader on it last year, when she was in 2nd grade, even though we had not done any spelling beforehand.  I believe they have a spelling list on their website to see if your child is ready to start the program.  We just took it very slowly the first year and had no expectations for her to complete each lesson within a set period of time. 

I also wish there was a workbook based approach to a the O-G method. My dd loves the workbook she is currently using for spelling but it's somewhat random and confusing--for instance this week she had words like few and you and glue...but no rules. I don't think it's effective at all!!!

• Like 1

You could look at Spelling-U-See. I use AAS but a friend uses this. When I looked at it it appeared to be a workbook version of AAS.

Actually there are quite a few significant differences (for example, AAS teaches phonograms while Spelling-You-See has students mark visual groups of letters whether or not they are phonograms, and sometimes splitting up phonograms in the process. SYS de-emphasizes phonics while that's a core of AAS, etc...)