Menu

PSAT 8/9 today for talent search

hellojwolford

My DS took the PSAT 8/9 today, but there was a catch. They were not allowed to write in their test booklets or use scratch paper. At first, my son thought they just wanted the test booklets clean, so he was erasing all of his math work before filling in the scantron answer bubble. But the proctor stopped him and said that he could make no marks on anything but the answer sheet. The test itself says to use the booklet as scratch paper but he was not allowed!! How do you solve algebraic simultaneous equations without writing anything down?!? He couldn't even circle the right answers and go back to bubble-in at the end. After the test, I asked the proctors about it. And they said, "We thought it was weird, too, that the rules said that they couldn't make any marks in the books". Are you kidding!?! Did anyone else's dc experience this today?

-Janet, venting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be so frustrating for me. One of the reasons why DD's math score on the SAT was so much lower than we'd expected was that she thought she shouldn't write the math out, but should be able to just pick the correct answer. Just correcting that misconception made a big difference between her math score on the SAT and the one on the ACT a few months later. To be told not to write anything down made that test a LOT harder for your DS and the other kids!

• Like 1

I happened to mention this to dd today, and she pointed out that if there is any question about test validity, supposedly the CB officials will look at the test booklet to see if in fact it was used as scratch paper.  The idea is if there are no marks, then they are more likely to suspect cheating.  I hate incompetence.  

• Like 3