Menu

Geography 1/2 credit 9th grade

Can anyone suggest a curriculum they LOVE and why they love it? I am at a loss and need to make a decision. Open to new ideas but in the running...

NorthStar

Georgia virtual class

MP geography III

Kiddo likes to follow a lesson plan. Mom likes answer keys. Willing to discuss but mostly independent and an hour of online to connect things would be great accountability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used PAC World Geography.  It can be a semester course, or you can spread it out over a full year.  We added art, music, literature, food/dining, etc. and made it a full year.  The program is similar in design to AOP LifePacs.  There are 4 student workbooks and 1 teacher guide.  It is a "get it done" program.  Each workbook has the same format.  Topics included are:  physical geography, cultural geography, political geography, economic impact of geography.  Mapwork is included.

What I liked:

easy to use...open and go

easy to grade and check work

easy to understand format

interesting material

What I didn't like:

black and white text....I think geography should be colorful (thats just me)

How I solved "what I didn't like":  added more color:  online videos, library dvds, library books.

We listened to music from whatever region we studied.  I made or purchased food from that region.  If possible, we met with people living locally from those regions.  We read literature from the region (or about the area).  This is totally optional.  The program is a stand alone course.  I just wanted to dress it up more.  HTH

• Like 1

Although I didn't use it, ACE Geography is another inexpensive and colorful option to look at. You can look at samples at cbd.com.  We are using NorthStar...sort of. I like the book and my son will still read a chapter a week until it is finished. We started doing as much of the program as we could but I got frustrated with printing the maps and all the other parts each week. The CD didn't work well on my Mac and it would just clock and clock and clock and then finally print out what I clicked on. This happened for each section per week I needed to print. Ugh. I wanted him to label maps, which North Star does by continent but it doesn't really correspond to the chapter for that week. You can do some extra research for a country or 2 within the continent but it didn't take each continent and discuss the culture, religion, lifestyles, etc. in very much detail. There was a sheet for each continent that the child looked up longest river, population, language spoken, etc but there wasn't really any narrative about it in the book. The book has more of a general overview of human geography (2nd half of the book) which is a good base that I like and that is why I am having him finish the book.The activities weren't that great and we skipped most of them. The first half of the book was more like a science course with biosphere, lithosphere, ocean currents, volcanos,etc. I think there was even a project to make a volcano which we did in elementary school science. So what we are doing alongside the book is the GVL you mentioned. Easy Peasy All in One High School has a guide, tests, answers for GVL and so we started following that. It goes through each continent individually, has map labeling, video's, small papers, research, vocab. It's not Christian based but so far no problems with the info. And we started it a little late but can still do one "chapter" over 2 weeks and finish on time. 

Although I didn't use it, ACE Geography is another inexpensive and colorful option to look at. You can look at samples at cbd.com. We are using NorthStar...sort of. I like the book and my son will still read a chapter a week until it is finished. We started doing as much of the program as we could but I got frustrated with printing the maps and all the other parts each week. The CD didn't work well on my Mac and it would just clock and clock and clock and then finally print out what I clicked on. This happened for each section per week I needed to print. Ugh. I wanted him to label maps, which North Star does by continent but it doesn't really correspond to the chapter for that week. You can do some extra research for a country or 2 within the continent but it didn't take each continent and discuss the culture, religion, lifestyles, etc. in very much detail. There was a sheet for each continent that the child looked up longest river, population, language spoken, etc but there wasn't really any narrative about it in the book. The book has more of a general overview of human geography (2nd half of the book) which is a good base that I like and that is why I am having him finish the book.The activities weren't that great and we skipped most of them. The first half of the book was more like a science course with biosphere, lithosphere, ocean currents, volcanos,etc. I think there was even a project to make a volcano which we did in elementary school science. So what we are doing alongside the book is the GVL you mentioned. Easy Peasy All in One High School has a guide, tests, answers for GVL and so we started following that. It goes through each continent individually, has map labeling, video's, small papers, research, vocab. It's not Christian based but so far no problems with the info. And we started it a little late but can still do one "chapter" over 2 weeks and finish on time.

do I understand the EP HS has a lesson schedule, tests and answers for the GVA class? Do you have a link? That could work. I just need structure and am will to print it all if needed. We r a paper school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It is allinonehomeschool.com

Scroll down on the right and you will see Geography under History section.

It is parent created but it has a schedule, tests, answers to tests and worksheets. Since we started late I can't follow their schedule as we wouldn't get done by the end of the year. I am doing one module (continent) over 2 weeks. There are 10 modules. They have built in study days that we don't have time for.

There are some videos that can only be watched if you have a Discovery Education log in but I asked my school district and they gave me one.

You print out the worksheets and tests and there are papers to do... well we are on the second module and there is a paper so I assume there are several more throughout. I actually have my son doing it in Power Point which was one suggestion since he never did one before.

Edited by sltress