Menu

Help me word this. Dd's boyfriend asking gift advice

Chris in VA

Dd's sweet bf would like to get her cowboy boots for Xmas. He is asking if I think she would like a certain pair. I don't think she will. I want to point him in the right direction, but dd and I have already discussed that she wants to pick her own. On top of that, his budget is low.I want to be extremely kind and supportive...I love this young man!So, how to word it? I don't have any other ideas of what to get her to offer, except earrings or something like that...boring!

I don't see a problem with letting him know that she's specifically told you that she wants to select her own. I'd try to steer him in a different direction.

If it's important to do this particular gift...He could give her a gift card if you know where she's likely to buy them. He could also wrap up a picture of boots with a note that says he knows she wants to select them, but he wants them to be his gift to her (assuming his budget will cover what she's likely to want). 

• Like 3

"That is -so- sweet. You know her very well as she would love cowboy boots. However, shoes are very personal and hard to fit. I think my daughter would prefer to try on boots and choose the pair that fit her the best. Let's try to come up with a different idea"

I would go this route. They are honestly impossible to fit without trying on, so it would be telling the truth as well as protecting an ego. :)

That is so helpful! I am glad I don't have to say a word about the style/color of the particular pair he is thinking about.I will go the "she needs to try them on" route.

Whew! I am so glad he is comfortable seeking my advice, and I am even more glad I could ask yours! LOL

• Like 4