Menu

pre-Black Friday deals: Online courses for $12 each

mathnerd

This just came across my newsfeed - pre-blackfriday deals for online courses for $12 each - the topics are very wide ranging - programming, writing, freelancing etc - 

http://www.businessinsider.com/udemy-online-course-black-friday-sale-10-dollars-deal-2016-11?

ETA: It looks like all the courses are on sale on their website for $12 (quite a few useful ones for me like music theory and some languages)

https://www.udemy.com/courses/

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 8

A few of my children are interested in some of these courses.  I'm wondering, do the courses only work on iOS or Android?  That is the impression I get for at least a couple of the courses, even when the topic may be about learning PC-based software.

According to the wikipedia article on udemy, 20% of users access their courses via mobile device. Presumably the other 80% use an ordinary computer with a web browser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udemy

• Like 1

DD would like to take a course through udemy.  Offer ends in 5 hours as I read it.  I wish someone who had actually taken a course through udemy would give some feedback.  Maybe I will start a separate thread...

It seems that we have a little bit more time - the sale ends on 25th - prices increase every other day, but don't go up all at once.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

According to the wikipedia article on udemy, 20% of users access their courses via mobile device. Presumably the other 80% use an ordinary computer with a web browser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udemy

Thanks.  That makes sense.

I signed up for one course, DD14 signed up for 2 and DS14 signed up for 3.  Hopefully these are good!

Thanks again, mathnerd!

• Like 2

I'm trying to sign up for a second course for me, but it does not seem to want to work.  I successfully signed up for six courses on three different accounts, but now it does not work.  I've tried from a couple of different computers and it goes all the way through Paypal only to come back and say it didn't work.

I wonder if the coupon is only good for a single purchase...

• Like 1

I'm trying to sign up for a second course for me, but it does not seem to want to work.  I successfully signed up for six courses on three different accounts, but now it does not work.  I've tried from a couple of different computers and it goes all the way through Paypal only to come back and say it didn't work.

I wonder if the coupon is only good for a single purchase...

I filed a bug report with Udemy this afternoon and they responded in about two hours saying they had identified and fixed the problem.  I tried it again just now and I was able to purchase the course.  I'm impressed! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up on this topic to give an update on our experiences so far with udemy.

Me:

I purchased two courses concerning programming for Android and iOS.  I have nearly completed one of the courses and I must say I am thoroughly impressed!  The instructor does an excellent job of taking proper steps for a professional-level course.  He moves fast, but not too fast.  He has a pleasant voice and knows the material very well.  In addition, he offered a coupon for his other courses for $10/ea as a reward at the end of the course.  I bought all four that are available!

DD14:

We purchased three courses regarding digital art for DD14 and she has worked on two of them.  She says the instructor is outstanding and she is learning quite a few new things (and tools).

DS14:

We purchased three courses for DD14: two related to programming and one related to modelling in Blender.  He dove into the Blender course and loved it so much that he is now banned until he gets caught up on his "real" programming course (TeenCoder for AP Computer Science).

The bottom line is that we love udemy!  It gets six thumbs up from the Guheerts so far! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks again, mathnerd!

• Like 3

I just wanted to follow up on this topic to give an update on our experiences so far with udemy.

Me:

I purchased two courses concerning programming for Android and iOS. I have nearly completed one of the courses and I must say I am thoroughly impressed! The instructor does an excellent job of taking proper steps for a professional-level course. He moves fast, but not too fast. He has a pleasant voice and knows the material very well. In addition, he offered a coupon for his other courses for $10/ea as a reward at the end of the course. I bought all four that are available!

DD14:

We purchased three courses regarding digital art for DD14 and she has worked on two of them. She says the instructor is outstanding and she is learning quite a few new things (and tools).

DS14:

We purchased three courses for DD14: two related to programming and one related to modelling in Blender. He dove into the Blender course and loved it so much that he is now banned until he gets caught up on his "real" programming course (TeenCoder for AP Computer Science).

The bottom line is that we love udemy! It gets six thumbs up from the Guheerts so far! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks again, mathnerd!

It's great to hear that you had such a positive experience. It would awesome if you could give the names of the courses, some here might be interested or could benefit from the instructor's other courses.

• Like 1