Menu

weighted belts/ vests

Melissa in Australia

Has anyone any experience using weighted belts or vests with their sensory seeking child? 

I would love to hear if they were successful or not.

We have just purchaced a sensory cusion for eating time - with maraculous results.

We have tried a chew necklace and he keeps hiding it

thanks so much

In my experience in a special ed classroom with lots of sensory kids, it either helps a lot or not at all- and you'll be able to tell very quickly! The general rule is to wear them for awhile and then take them off (20 minutes-ish). After awhile, the child becomes used to the feeling and the effect wears off. By taking it off and on throughout the day you get the most benefit. I had nonverbal, lower functioning kids who really calmed down with a vest- so much so that when they were feeling very wound up they would go get it and bring it to me to put it on them or would stand near it and whine until I got it on them. Best thing to do is give it a try to see if it helps. See if you can borrow or make one. If that's not a possibility, try putting a heavy weighted down backpack on the child and see what happens. That can give you a sense of whether weight is helpful. Some children do better with compression vests. For that you could try putting on some outgrown clothes- like a tight jacket or hoodie. I used to work with a child who loved his compression vest. At home he loved to wear his several-sizes-too-small footed pajamas. Gave the same sensation.

• Like 1

My DS7 visibly calms while wearing one at his OT appt. Hence why I just bought the stuff to make him one (along with a body sock). The difference when he wears one is immediate. If this works, I will begin sewing a weighted blanket for night.

His OT also suggested a too small lycra swimming shirt to try. I want to try the vest, just because I can take it off and on easily.

• Like 1