Menu

ACT Accomodations for extended time?

DS #1 and DS #2 have been officially dx'd with dyslexia.  We've never had DD #2 dx'd officially because it's obvious so we're just using Barton.

She wanted to take a practice ACT today so we had her just do the reading section.  I was curious if she would need time.  She scored a 26 but needed almost double to finish the test. (She's 14.)

We do go through the school homeschool program if that's relevant.  Must I get a neuropsych eval (all OOP - DS #2's was $1500 - ouch) or is there an alternative?  

I don't know, but from everything I've read you need a diagnosis and a paper trail. Also, they prefer the diagnosis earlier rather than right before the test.

My son has a diagnosis and received extra time on the ACT (and the written portions of SAT/AP).

Take a look at the required paperwork listed on the ACT (and SAT) website. This will probably give you a better idea what you need.

Does she have an IEP, 504, or accommodations plan through the school?  If so, I believe that the school's counselor can do the paperwork for you which may mean that you don't need a report.  

Otherwise, the sooner you get an evaluation, the better.  And I should mention, that my son has continued to use the report we had done when he was in high school to get accommodations in college.

Does she have an IEP, 504, or accommodations plan through the school?  If so, I believe that the school's counselor can do the paperwork for you which may mean that you don't need a report.  

Otherwise, the sooner you get an evaluation, the better.  And I should mention, that my son has continued to use the report we had done when he was in high school to get accommodations in college.

So I checked into this.... she cannot qualify for a 504 through the school because she needs a medical diagnosis AND must have scored below the 25% on an assessment.  She'll never score that low and if I have the medical diagnosis, I don't need the 504.  

Drat and drat more.  That means OOP for a neuropsych.  Good heavens.  Some day dyslexia needs to be actually recognized by our medical insurance.