Menu

Where to rent in Northern Virginia?

We are being transferred and dh will be at the Pentagon. He will have a parking space so we won't get subsidized Metro tickets or anything like that. We are looking for a single family house in the 2000-3200 range with four plus bedrooms, more than 2500 sq. ft. and two car garage or large workshop area. We don't want to go too far out. What areas might meet our requirements? We will continue to homeschool our 6th and 10th grade daughters so we are also looking for homeschoolinmg groups for older kids/teens. We want to rent starting Dec. 15th/

Northern Virginia is outrageously expensive!!!

You could try Alexandria, but most of Fairfax County is going to really be stretching your dollar.

You could also try Prince William County, but then your dh would be driving up I-95 at rush hour -- not fun! But I know that PWC has numerous vacant houses (they've been really hurt by the foreclosure crisis and many folks are renting their homes because they can't sell them). If your dh would be traveling off hours, or is somehow able to use the HOV lanes, like by carpooling or driving a hybrid, then the trip up I-95 from Manassas or other areas of PWC wouldn't be bad.

Manassas is too far, IMO. MY DH worked at the Pentagon, but is now at another (even farther away, LOL) base. We live in Woodbridge. Yes, PWC has a lot of empty houses!

When we first moved here, the big beautiful homes on the other side of our road were 600-700,000. Now they are in the 500,000's. So they were out of reach to rent before, but now would probably be in your price range.

Also look at Springfield/Lorton, near Ft Belvior. Lots of nice places there.

You should have no problem, I think. Traffic does totally stink though.

I was going to say I-95 Springfield through Woodbridge corridor. Even though your dh has you may want to be near VRE. Commuting here is ugly. I'd rather be on the train, reading, working on my laptop, answering email. It's also good when your car needs repair. You may want to be near VRE for field trips to DC, because once the limited free and metered museum parking fills parking in a lot can run you $20, add that to gas...

Lots of homeschool groups. I'm sure you will find one close no matter where you end up in No. VA

Commuting is indeed horrid. The best work-around I did was when I lived in Springfield and worked in Arlington. I picked up "slugs" each morning up near the Springfield interchange (or even back in Burke; don't know where the current slug lines are now, but you could easily find out) and dropped them off at the Pentagon. This allowed me to use the HOV lanes each day. It was less convenient for me to pick folks back up again, but it wouldn't be at ALL hard for your DH to do so since he's already there.

So out as far as Springfield is doable; I wouldn't go any farther than that (we now live MUCH further out than that, but DH is at work in Reston at 6 AM). I would think that you'd be able to find something to rent in your price range anywhere in the 95 corridor between Arlington and Springfield, with the quality of the home and safety of the neighborhood increasing as you move further out (not that Arlington's not nice--it has many GREAT neighborhoods. It's just that as you move further in, costs rise quickly.)

Have you checked the WP for rentals?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/rentals/

:001_smile:

ETA: Oops! Homeschool groups. Ditto what Betty said: There are several. Here's one Yahoo group that specializes in getting homeschoolers together for field trips. Plus, there are a bunch of us on this list that are NoVA'ns; we ought to get together sometime!

Edited by laylamcb

Lots of people ride-share to the Pentagon (SLUG). Basically, your dh would park at the commuter lot and get in a line and ride free to the Pentagon (or you dh could be the driver). That way you ride the HOV all the way into the Pentagon, and take advantage of the space.

People slug home en mass from the Pentagon as well.

If your dh works the more "normal" Pentagon schedule 7-3 or 8-4, Slugging is a great option -- BUT you really want to be on the 95 Corridor.

Prince William County is about the furthest north I'd suggest. You can log on to www.remax.com and check out some houses in the area. Stafford is also a big area for Pentagon employees as well. PWC and Stafford have both been hit hard with the housing market. You won't find as much available, nor the significant price drops in Springfield, Alexandria or Arlington (unless you want a Condo -- which absorbed the biggest hits in no. VA).

HTH!

Lisa