Menu

Follow up to Ray's Aritmetic

Hello,

I am looking for a follow up to Ray's Arithmeric for high school math. I would like something similar to Ray's: no frills, clear, straightforward, and written by someone who really truly loves mathematics. Would someone who has used both Ray's and one of these curricula tell me which would be a good follow up to Ray's: Foerster's, Jacob's, or AOPs are the ones I am currently considering but I am open to suggestions. I would like something that we would use for all of high school and has complete solutions. TIA

I'm no help, but super excited to meet you! We're using Ray's. Can I ask you some questions? When did you start? How many years did it take? Did you use Intellectual and Practical at the same time? Do you feel like there are any holes? Did you supplement?

I'm sorry but hardly anyone uses it and I have so many questions. Thank you for your response if you have the time. :)

I'm no help, but super excited to meet you! We're using Ray's. Can I ask you some questions? When did you start? How many years did it take? Did you use Intellectual and Practical at the same time? Do you feel like there are any holes? Did you supplement?

I'm sorry but hardly anyone uses it and I have so many questions. Thank you for your response if you have the time. :)

We started I guess between 2nd and 3rd grade. We also did some Strayer-Upton. We did Primary mostly orally, addition and subtraction concurrently (same with the division/multiplication). Then the Practical and Intellectual arithmetics books together with the lessons in Practical following the same lesson in Intellectual (such as addition in Intellectual then Addition in Practical, subtraction in Intellectual then subtraction in Practical and so on). This is all explained in the "Eclectic Manual of Methods" (not the Beechick guide). It's online somewhere but I don't have a link at the moment. Then there is the Higher Arithmetic book. I can't speak to gaps or holes in their arithmetic knowledge except to say I am very pleased with Ray's. I like how he presents the material, I like the order or progression of the material. I'm not sure if we should do Pre-Algebra first just to be sure there aren't any gaps before starting Algebra or if we should just dive into Algebra 1 and see how it goes.

I hope that helps, even just a little ;). If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by UmmYahya03

I'm not sure if we should do Pre-Algebra first just to be sure there aren't any gaps before starting Algebra or if we should just dive into Algebra 1 and see how it goes.

Depends on which direction you choose. Are the ages in your signature accurate? You might want to post on the accelerated learner board if so. But I'm assuming that they're probably a little out of date because it says Rightstart math. 

All of these programs are of sufficient rigor to prepare for any college major. I'm just going to comment on the pre-algebra question though. 

If you transition to AOPS I would definitely do their pre-algebra. If you transition to one of the others, I would still at least skim a modern pre-algebra (you should not need an expensive one) to get used to notation and check for any gaps before transitioning. You can get a used Martin-Gay or Lial text very cheaply on amazon. I'd work on chapter tests in a diagnostic-prescriptive manner -- if your student gets an A, correct and re-teach any missed problems and continue -- if your student gets a B/C, re-teach any missed concepts and work some extra practice problems from the chapter review -- if your student gets lower than that, work through the chapter, although so many problems are provided that working every 4th problem should be more than enough.