Menu

Language immersion/travel for credit

I am considering some kind of language immersion experience for my sophomore boys. One is learning French and the other is learning German. I am wondering about using some of the hours at a camp or on a trip as hours toward credit. Has anyone done that and if so, how many hours would be appropriate to use as credit?

I am looking for a relatively efficient way to build some knowledge and fluency. They are taking first year German and French this year. They have a pretty rigorous course load with all of their other work so it would be nice to get some credit in the summer through some kind of intensive to that it might reduce next year's load. 

We spent 5 days in France when they were 10 years old and it was amazing how much they picked up in that short time, so I see that kind of learning as the ideal.  Generally we have all been finding high school quite restrictive due to the necessary commitments of class schedules and requirements, so I am trying to find some ways to maximize learning while also creating some freedom from the typical high school schedule.  We have family in Europe, so a trip to Germany and or France would be feasible, but both boys are quite reserved, so I am not sure how much they would learn just from a tourist-type experience.

ETA: I am cross posting this to an earlier thread specifically about Concordia Village.

Edited by Legomom, Today, 12:17 PM.

I know 8's daughter earned credit through a BYU summer program. I think travel would be marvelous! I have a month-long trip to Spain "reserved" through Landry Academy in 2018 for my dd#1 who will be in Spanish 4 (hopefully) at that time. I don't know how much more language she will pick up, but I'm tentatively planning on giving her some sort of credit for it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My son spent three months in Germany over the summer with grandma and his older brother traveling a little within the country.  I awarded one credit for German Culture and Language.  We are continuing reading German literature (in German) and I will award a credit for that.

• Like 1

My son spent three months in Germany over the summer with grandma and his older brother traveling a little within the country. I awarded one credit for German Culture and Language. We are continuing reading German literature (in German) and I will award a credit for that.

Did he have any classes in German before he went? It sounds like he must have been quite fluent when he returned.

Edited by Legomom