Menu

Looking for supplemental math during holiday months

We school very light from Thanksgiving to New Year's. I'd like to take that time to do a little supplemental math work with my kids. My 6th grader is doing BJU Math 7 and really hit a wall with the chapter on ratio/percent. I'd like something on ratios/decimals/percents for him. My 4th grader isn't having trouble, but I do not want to take two months off of math - so for her, maybe something with fractions, multiplication, and division practice. Any suggestions?

If you want drill, there are the Key-To books on fractions, decimals and percents.

If you want instruction, try the topic books from MM (for example, some combination of Fractions & Decimals 3 and Ratios, Proportions & Problem Solving and Percent).

If you want problem solving, something more outside the box, interesting, concept-focused, and online, for your older child, you could try AoPS videos (chapters 6, 7, 8) combined with Alcumus (both free).

Edited by wapiti

Thank you, wapiti! I was looking at the Key To books and wondering if there was anything else out there - I forgot MM has those topic books! I will also look at the AoPS videos - thank you for the suggestions and links!

I am a Kumon Geometry and Measurement super fan.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/047544

I also like Kumon's preAlgebra and algebra workbooks. They are strictly supplemental.

You could do Penrose the MathematicalCat type books, or something like the Borac books. Or even something like Fingermath. or a soroban book!

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Fingermath-Accurate-Scientific/dp/0070376808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478456230&sr=8-1&keywords=fingermath

Or Hands On Equations.

Edited by OKBud