Menu

PAH AP Chemistry

For those who took this courses, how did your kids do if they hadn't had prior chemistry classes? Should there be prior preparations in the summer before the course? And how much time did they have to put in weekly? Also we're doing Biology now. Is it easier to do AP chemistry then AP physics or vice versa? Thanks!

Edited by Maryam

My dd went straight into AP chem as a freshman, having only had middle school science (BFSU).  She did great on the AP exam and in the class.  It was a lot of work, though, and it's very important that you do not fall behind, but rather, stay ahead of the work.  It was her first priority course and she spent a lot of time reading and studying for it.  But she did enjoy it and the teacher is very responsive.  We haven't done AP physics, but since it's applied math, I imagine it will be easier for my dd.  

• Like 1

A big difference between the two courses is that you need calculus for AP Physics and you don't for AP chemistry. This is why most people take AP chemistry before AP physics.

edited to add - Physics C is calculus based, you can take the algebra based AP Physics anytime.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 2

DS had some living books based chemistry followed by explorative labs in middle school. He then took 1 year of hs biology and 3 high school credits worth of physics (one was calc based). He is now in his 9th week of AP Chem with Mr Moskaluk and loving it. I think delaying this with a year of hs chemistry would have bored him to tears. He spends about 6-8 hrs a week on average and is doing very well so far.

• Like 3

A big difference between the two courses is that you need calculus for AP Physics and you don't for AP chemistry. This is why most people take AP chemistry before AP physics.

You do not need calculus for the AP Physics 1 & 2 exams (they are algebra based).  Both AP Calculus C exams (Mechanics and Electricity& Megnatism) requires calculus, but calculus can be taken concurrently (this is what my ds did, although he took the old AP Physics B alegebra based class the year before so he was very comfortable with physics.)  

Both of my older children have taken a regular chemistry course before AP Chemistry with Mr. Moskaluk.  I think it just made the course easier, but I am sure a bright student could handle the AP course without prior chemistry.  
  • Like 3

You do not need calculus for the AP Physics 1 & 2 exams (they are algebra based).  Both AP Calculus C exams (Mechanics and Electricity& Megnatism) requires calculus, but calculus can be taken concurrently.

Oops. Yes this is what I meant. AP Physics C is calculus based - you can take the others anyitme if you have the algebra background.

• Like 1