Menu

How many high school credits did your dc graduate with?

Sharon77

Yes, but are colleges ok with hsers assigning credit during times like summer when public schoolers don't have that opportunity?

I'm afraid of being dismissed as having just assigned mommy grades and inflating my child's work

Our local high school offers 7 credits a semester, I think. So that's 28 credits for graduation.

I am all for fewer classes that go greater in-depth.  Even 6 credits a year is still 24 credits. I believe firmly that it is the type of classes taken and not necessarily the quantity of classes taken that is important. Many public school kids will have electives that are fairly basic.  My son worked with a Spanish tutor over the summer after his sophomore year.  His transcript reflects:

Spanish 1 (local high school)

Spanish 2 (local high school)

Advanced Conversation and Composition (private tutor over summer)

Honors Spanish 4 (Ray Leven)

AP Spanish (Ray Leven through PAHS)

No admissions staff questioned the summer work.  While ds didn't take the AP exam, his placement score indicated that he had obviously achieved AP level.

I was afraid of being dismissed for mommy grades too, which is part of why we did a significant amount of testing between SAT Subject and APs. It worked for us because ds is relatively comfortable with testing, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. 

The top students here do take 9 credits a year, and they usually have an addl three from middle school. Their senior year is a lot of DE, which is given seat time, so for ex. Calc 1 in one semester is a half credit. In addition, per state law, they can transfer in five credits from accredited providers (such as JHU-CTY), take a credit in summer session from the district, and self study for AP tests. Drivers Ed is not worth anything. Students tend not to be racking up the max, but doing what they need to do to prepare for their future. The last few non-urm ivy leaguers from here dont stand out in terms of credits and none accelerated beyond Calc 2; their time went to their hook, perfecting their SAT scores, and achieving on the national level. The students who are double accelerated or more tend to go to techie schools...their time goes to their sport, music, and their online math/sci classes.

We are in the same geographic area. Do public high schools include the middle school credits on the "master" high school transcript or do they just "count" them on their system? Say a SUNY class taken in middle school?

Conversely, I wonder how one gets middle school credits acknowledged when there is no class or test, I mean I know he is in at least French 4 high school wise now, and if I were putting together a transcript I know we spend enough time for the credits, but not sure how to prove that...maybe DE for that one too if we can find a class...

Edited by madteaparty

We are in the same geographic area. Do public high schools include the middle school credits on the "master" high school transcript or do they just "count" them on their system? Say a SUNY class taken in middle school?

Conversely, I wonder how one gets middle school credits acknowledged when there is no class or test, I mean I know he is in at least French 4 high school wise now, and if I were putting together a transcript I know we spend enough time for the credits, but not sure how to prove that...maybe DE for that one too if we can find a class...

An AP test or SATII test confirms level of work; the one downside is that many universities don't accept those test results if taken before high school. A CLEP test might also work. And even if a university does not accept any of those test options for *credit*, they would certainly accept the results as proof of level of work, even if the tests were taken in middle school.

If the student has completed high school level French up through French 4 before hitting high school, you might look at DE at a local university for continuing coursework during high school that could work towards a future minor or part of a double major in French. Universities require students who wish to start beyond the entry-level course of a language to take a placement assessment. That would work as both proof of knowledge and would allow the student to take upper-division French courses as a high school student.

Another option would be to place those 4 credits of French on the transcript in a special section of "Credits completed before high school", confirm with a test score (AP, SATII, or CLEP), and then in high school work on a different foreign language.

• Like 1