Menu

Is there a reason to take a kitty with a respiratory illness to the vet?

creekland

Sick kitty question.  Mostly outdoor cat - started having sneezing fits back in Aug - they seemed to come on suddenly, last for a few seconds, then done.  No other symptoms.  I was thinking perhaps allergies.  

Earlier this week he's developed a kitty cold - congested, but no runny eyes or goo coming out of anything.  We can just hear it with his breathing.  No high temp.  Still eating as normal and otherwise acting normal.

He hasn't been to a vet in years, but gets his rabies shots here at home from my pony vet and we give him other regular ones in the spring.

Is this something we should wait out (kitty cold that will go away) or is it something he ought to be seeing a vet about?

If it goes back to Aug, then it's lasted quite a while and is progressing.  If his sneezing and this respiratory thing are different, then he's only had the respiratory part this week.  I'm not sure if the two are connected or not.  Prior to Aug, he had no issues of any sort.

I guess I'm wondering if he could have gotten something inside his lungs that is irritating them and causing the other issue.

There are plenty of wild kitties around, but I haven't seen any sick ones personally.  That said, wild kitties usually run or hide, so I don't know what I haven't seen.

I would take him. Respiratory illnesses in cats can go badly very quickly if not treated.

Another possibility, depending on the age/health of the cat is that it may be the beginning of congestive heart failure. (I have an older cat -- 18yo -- who sometimes sneezes like that, nothing respiratory, & it seems to be related to the development of congestive heart failure. However, vets have been monitoring it for over 2 years now & there has been no change/advancement in it & he is fine.)

But, congestion, loud breathing, etc..., I think your cat is going to need antibiotics (whether they just give kitty a shot or you have to administer meds yourself).

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1