Menu

Revolutionary War novel suggestions, please

DD and I are studying the American Revolution, and I'd like some suggestions for novels to go along with that (5th grade).  I already have Johnny Tremain and My Brother Sam is Dead, but I'd like other suggestions, especially some on a slightly lower reading level (Scholastic lists Johnny Tremain at a grade level of 5.3 and My Brother Sam as 5.8).

I know my daughter read "Black Crows & White Cockades" by Christine Swager, but I can't remember the reading level (or whether she read it in late elementary or in middle school). I liked it because it has a young teen female protagonist and is set in the South (upstate South Carolina), as most of the common titles are more Northern-based and with male protagonists.

• Like 1

ETA -- I added some titles; for some reason, I misread your post that you had a son, so focused more on boy protagonists -- I have now added in books with girl protagonists ;)

non-fiction

- Let It Begin Here: Lexington and Concorde (Fradin) -- picture books, but geared for gr. 3-5 in reading level / interest level

- Can't you make them Behave, King George? (Fritz) -- gr. 4 reading level; humorous

- George vs. George: The American Revolution as Seen From Both Sides (Schanzer) -- gr. 4-5 reading level

- Founding Mothers (Roberts) -- gr. 4-5 reading level; key female Revolutionary figures

historical fiction

- Phoebe the Spy (Griffin) -- gr. 2 reading level; true story

- Sybil Ludington's Midnight Ride (Amstel) -- gr. 2 reading level; true story

- Toliver's Secret (Brady) -- gr. 3 reading level; girl dressed as a boy delivers messages to Washington

- Attack of the Turtle (Carlson) -- gr. 4-5 reading level; boys help inventor David Bushnell make first submarine used in naval warfare

- My Name is America: A True Patriot, the journal of William Thomas Emerson -- gr. 5 reading level

- Winter of Red Snow: Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart (Gregory)-- gr. 5 reading level; Valley Forge

- Dear America: Love Thy Neighbor: Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Turner) -- gr. 5 reading level

- The Arrow Over the Door (Bruchac) -- gr. 4 reading level; Native American perspective on the War

- Mr. Revere and I (Lawson) -- gr. 4 reading level; humorous look at Paul Revere from his horse's pov

picture books, but geared for gr. 3-5 in reading level / interest level

- Paul Revere's Ride (Longfellow) -- Longfellow's famous poem in an illustrated picture book

- The Scarlet Stockings Spy (Noble)

- Redcoats and Petticoats (Kirkpatrick) -- spying for Washington

- The Called Her Molly Pitcher (Rockwell) -- Molly Pitcher AND Valley Forge

- The Boston Tea Party (Freedman)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I am having no luck finding reading level information on Black Crows and White Cockades.  Neither of my nearby libraries have it, either. Bummer.  It does sound interesting.

From comments on the book at Amazon, I'd guess middle school (7th-8th gr.) reading & interest level...

I just printed out your list, Lori D., and checked online with both of my nearby libraries, and I'm happy to see that many of those books are available to me!  This will keep us busy.  Plus, DD will read the Felicity books without any prodding from me, it won't even feel like "school work" to her.

Thanks again, everyone!

• Like 1

I just printed out your list, Lori D., and checked online with both of my nearby libraries, and I'm happy to see that many of those books are available to me!  This will keep us busy.  Plus, DD will read the Felicity books without any prodding from me, it won't even feel like "school work" to her.

Thanks again, everyone!

Yea! Sounds like a great plan! Looks like there's a good half dozen of the Felicity books!

And in case anyone else is reading and wants a few more book titles:

gr. 1-2 reading level

George The Drummer Boy (Benchley)

Sam the Minuteman (Benchley)

Six Silver Spoons (Lowrey)

gr. 3-4 reading level

Samuel's Choice (Berleth) -- slave must decide whether to fight for the British or the colonists

My America series: Five Smooth Stones: Hope's Diary (Gregory)

My America series: We are Patriots (Gregory)

Magic Tree House: Revolutionary War on Wednesday (Osborne)

Daughter of Liberty (Quackenbush) -- young woman volunteers for a dangerous mission

When Mr. Jerrerson Came to Philadelphia (Turner)

gr. 5-6 reading level

War Comes to Willy Freeman (Collier) -- black girl's freedom endangered by the War

Hope's Crossing (Goodman) -- girl kidnapped by English Loyalists

An Enemy Among Them (DeFord) -- Hessian soldier questions fighting with the British wile a prisoner in a German American family's home

• Like 1

We've also loved the "A Little Maid" books by Alice Turner Curtis.  Here are some set in the Revolutionary War period:

A  Little Maid of Old Philadelphia

A Little Maid of Massachusetts Colony

A Little Maid of Ticonderoga

A Little Maid of Old Maine

A Little Maid of Virginia

A Little Maid of Old New York

A Little Maid of Old Connecticut

A Little Maid of Maryland

A Little Maid of Narragansett Bay

A Little Maid of Provincetown

A Little Maid of Newport

A Little Maid of Mohawk Valley

Some of them are available for free on Kindle.  There are also a couple that are about the Civil War when you get there if she likes these.   :)

Hope that helps!

Edited by mommy2ella
  • Like 1