Menu

Aops online class question

I see many posts on here that say one of the best features of aops is the discovery element. DS is taking his first aops class - intro to algebra - online and I'm not recognizing that? What do you mean by the discovery method and is it different with the online classes vs doing it independently with the book?

If he basically already knows most of the lessons, there won't be that much discovery going on (with the exception of topics that are new to him), but the lesson problems are where the discovery is located.

Is he doing the exercises prior to class?  He should be doing those, though again it may be that he already knows this material, especially if he only just started the course (early part should be review).  Has he done the assigned online weekly challenge problems and Alcumus sections?

Edited by wapiti

Basically he participates in class, then he has a week to finish two alcumus topics, 8-10 challenge problems and 1 writing problem before the next class. Depending on the topic, he watches some or all of the videos.

I'll have him try to get to the reading before class. I've never noticed anything that said he should try to work problems before the class time, but that would make sense with the discovery goal.

If he basically already knows most of the lessons, there won't be that much discovery going on (with the exception of topics that are new to him), but the lesson problems are where the discovery is located.

Is he doing the exercises prior to class?  He should be doing those, though again it may be that he already knows this material, especially if he only just started the course (early part should be review).  Has he done the assigned online weekly challenge problems and Alcumus sections?

I think many students aren't clear they should be doing this, as well as the stuff assigned in class.  The class assumes that they've done the work.