Menu

Double time Foerster Algebra 1?

DD14 did Aops Pre-A over the course of 1.5 years.  We decided not to continue with AoPS and have begun Foerster's Classic Edition.  We like the explanations and the format.  However, it's really easy for DD.  For example, working with negative numbers is broken into 4 lessons, but DD could easily do this in 1 lesson.  Does anyone have a game plan for combining lessons in this book?  We talked about testing out of chapters, but I'm afraid we might miss some tidbit that will come back to haunt us later.  Thoughts, ideas, anyone else combined lessons?

I would do as you are suggesting, compact the easy lessons.  I would assume that some of the early chapters and possibly the first lesson or two of a chapter are places where you might be able to compact.  In other words, you'll reach a point soon where you won't be able to compact, so you might as well do it where you can, i.e. in the beginning, if you are looking to make time.

• Like 1

I agree with other posters....I've heard people skip thru the review sections of Saxon by just doing chapter tests until they reach a % of mistakes that indicates lack of understanding, then start working from that point.

We're in a similar situation, as dd has done MUS Alg. 1 and we are doing Foerster now mostly for the extra practice and word problems. So we do *all* the word problems but the odds on the rest of the exercises. We're up to ch. 3 and ch. 1-2 were pretty easy.

• Like 1