Menu

Do you use any type of fitness apps for tracking? If so would you be willing to share?

Laurie4b

I like two series: The My Fitness Pal/Map my run/bike/fitness apps by Under Armor. I like the integration between the apps. Not fond of the user interface for some things. But it tracks really really well.

I also like the Nike+ Series. Fuel. +Run. TrainingClub.

The Nike series has nicer voices and tou can set up reminders for free and get basic plans without having to upgrade like with the Under Armor series of apps.

• Like 1

It depends on what you want to do.

I use My Fitness Pal to track my food. I can also enter my movement.  I use it on my phone only and it links to my health app and the step counter that came built in. I don't take that too seriously though b/c it only counts steps I take with my phone..and I don't carry my phone everywhere.  But I love it for keeping count of my food. The scanner works really well for packaged food.  It does require you to know your serving size, obviously.  Which leads me to my next point: the BEST 'tech' you can have to help you lose weight is a kitchen scale.  I guess I would need to add in measuring spoons and cups, but that scale is very important. Best 15$ I have ever spent that has actually helped me to lose weight.

For exercise only I have liked the 'track my..." I have used 'walk' and 'run' and dh and d1 have also used 'ride'.  Sometimes they go a bit wonky withe GPS, and you have to carry your phone with you.

I was recently gifted a Fitbit and I really love it.  I MUCH prefer a wearable for tracking movement.  However, I haven't found the fitbit to be well made, and as much as I love it, I wouldn't buy one.  It does work really well, but it falls apart easily.  My first one fell apart in three months. They replaced it for free, because they should have, but this is a very, very common complaint. For the cost it needs to last a long time.

My sister got an apple watch and it has a set counter. Rumor has it that the next incarnation of the Apple watch will have independent GPS, which means it will track movement such as a run or a walk without having to carry your phone with you.  That could make it very attractive..but super expensive.  But my sister loves her apple watch, not just for that, lol. 

And I want to add that with NONE of the fitness trackers do I take the 'calories used' part all that seriously. It is very, very difficult to actually know how many calories anyone is burning at any given time. It can depend on so much, your lean muscle mass, your sleep, your hydration. I find it informative,but I don't read too much into it.  It's more of a general 'room temperature' reading, rather than precise.

• Like 1

It depends on what you want to do.

I use My Fitness Pal to track my food. I can also enter my movement.  I use it on my phone only and it links to my health app and the step counter that came built in. I don't take that too seriously though b/c it only counts steps I take with my phone..and I don't carry my phone everywhere.  But I love it for keeping count of my food. The scanner works really well for packaged food.  It does require you to know your serving size, obviously.  Which leads me to my next point: the BEST 'tech' you can have to help you lose weight is a kitchen scale.  I guess I would need to add in measuring spoons and cups, but that scale is very important. Best 15$ I have ever spent that has actually helped me to lose weight.

For exercise only I have liked the 'track my..." I have used 'walk' and 'run' and dh and d1 have also used 'ride'.  Sometimes they go a bit wonky withe GPS, and you have to carry your phone with you.

I was recently gifted a Fitbit and I really love it.  I MUCH prefer a wearable for tracking movement.  However, I haven't found the fitbit to be well made, and as much as I love it, I wouldn't buy one.  It does work really well, but it falls apart easily.  My first one fell apart in three months. They replaced it for free, because they should have, but this is a very, very common complaint. For the cost it needs to last a long time.

My sister got an apple watch and it has a set counter. Rumor has it that the next incarnation of the Apple watch will have independent GPS, which means it will track movement such as a run or a walk without having to carry your phone with you.  That could make it very attractive..but super expensive.  But my sister loves her apple watch, not just for that, lol. 

And I want to add that with NONE of the fitness trackers do I take the 'calories used' part all that seriously. It is very, very difficult to actually know how many calories anyone is burning at any given time. It can depend on so much, your lean muscle mass, your sleep, your hydration. I find it informative,but I don't read too much into it.  It's more of a general 'room temperature' reading, rather than precise.

I agree that they aren't absolutely precise. But I can also say that I have over 13 months of data from tracking calories (My Fitness Pal), TDEE per Fitbit Charge HR and daily weight (Happy Scale and Apple health app) that tells me mine is quite reliable. Think just down the block rather than across town.

• Like 1