Menu

looking for suggestions for another mom

her daughter is in 3rd grade. dyslexic, speech/language issues, failing math. the mom went to parent conference day yesterday and was very discouraged and is thinking about pulling her out to homeschool. what suggestions would you have as far as curriculum? especially reading and math?

thanks!

Kay

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html These books are the best I have found for teacing reading. Click on the UK link to the right and find out even more about the program. My progress with my kids is highlighted (under Ottakee I think) but I have no financial interest in this at all. I just have seen the progress kids make with the I See Sam books. They have a email list for even more wonderful free help.

http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/ Apples and Pears is TOPS for teaching spelling to kids who struggle. It is a tad pricey but still way cheaper than any tutoring would be. It is very easy to use and the skills transfer to other subjects.

For Math, I would look at Math U See http://www.mathusee.com

The mom might have to take her back to 1st grade or so level to make sure she has the foundational skills.

She might be able to keep speech therapy through the schools or get it privately if that is needed.

That's really not enough information to make recommendations on. She's dyslexic--but what grade level does she read on? Have issues of phonemic awareness been worked on yet? What has been the child's response? Can she sound out regular, short vowel words? What types of approaches have been tried and what has the result been for each? What are the speech-language issues? Do you know the general IQ level? What is causing her to fail math?

There are some programs that typically work well with dyslexia, but it's not a one-size-fits-all-this-child-has-LD's-what-do-I-use-question. If the mom was willing to share more info, she could get more tailored advice. It gets really frustrating to try curriculum after curriculum, when you could have gotten a better match to start with.

I agree with looking into Math U See. My son started with Primer back in kindergarten and now he is in 5th grade and we are doing Epsilon. This has been 1 subject we haven't had to adjust curriculum. My son is a hands on learner so this has been a good fit for us.

I would look into the Developmental Foundations program from Little Giant Steps. They have a pre-purchase questionnaire to help you determine whether or not it could/would benefit your child.

It would include exercises to help with the dyslexia. For math, they would probably recommend their Math Facts in a Flash. You do math facts for 7 minutes total per day, broken up into 1 and 2 minute sessions.

As someone else stated, we would have to know her reading level/comprehension. Another thing to check would be auditory and visual processing. Little Giant Steps offers free test kits and recommendations.

HTH

Allison