Menu

Crafts...

Tell me what your favorite crafty thing to do is? I can cross-stitch, crotchet but no way can I knit. Since I'm not needed as much with the kids these days I'm trying to find fun things to fill my time. Winter is coming and I need to stock up on supplies as well.

Thanks bunches!:D

I find that embroidery is very relaxing. Pillowcase with embellished edges make a nice gift.

There is a book called Hip to Crochet with a wonderful pattern for bedsocks. They are exceptionally pretty (to me) because they are made with a small hook and sock yarn, so the texture of the pattern is dainty and lovely. I get frustrated with so many crochet patterns that use mongo hooks and yarn, since I'm not fond of the look of the result. If you can find that book, check out that pattern. Vintage crochet books also have nice patterns, too.

At this time of year a girl really wants to hunker down and make stuff, huh? Well, I feel it.

I used to crochet, but my hands won't let me anymore, and I used to cross-stitch but my eyes are too bad. I don't know what I'll do when I can't see to accurately cut paper....

BMC

bernadettecurry.myctmh.com (under construction)

Origami is a wonderful pastime. You can buy some very pretty Japanese papers or make your own by cutting squares. We use origami for Christmas cards and birthday cards. I have even made little flapping butterflies for the inside of my nieces birthday card.

It needn't be tricky. Here is a wonderful site with animated instructions to get you started: Origami Club

Dover do some excellent cheap books. I recommend Easy Christmas Origami.

We also enjoyed soap-making recently. All you need is a big tub of melt and pour glycerine soap and your favourite essential oils. Here is a link to our first attempts.

Cakes of Soap

What about crocheting some dishcloths from cotton yarn? You could make them in holiday colors, and there are many patterns on the 'net or in books at the craft store. They make nice gifts too.

My MIL makes these and they are the BEST dishcloths! I need to learn how to make them myself.

Quilting.

I love disappearing up into my sewing area for a time of creative play. I love when the weather cools down and I can sit with an unfinished quilt on my lap handstitching while watching TV.

I used to cross stitch and would love to take that up again.