Menu

Deathly Hallows question - possible spoilers

Not an earthshaking question, I know.

Does anyone know how Harry knew the Hufflepuff cup was in the LeStranges' vault in Gringott's? He realized something was in there, but I can't find the part where he figures out what it is.

When he's in the vault, he tells everyone to look for the cup. How did he decide that? Perhaps I'm not as careful a reader as I thought.

If you could list a page number, I'd be grateful.

In the vault he told R and H to look for the cup OR something with the Ravenclaw eagle on it - by process of elimination he knew it had to be the cup or the diadem. I just reread that exact section today!!!!!

He knew from visiting the Pensive with D in book 6 that Tom Riddle had stolen the cup...since he knew the ring/locket/diary were kaput, that left the cup and something from Ravenclaw (which he does not realize yet is the diadem....)

I am looking forward to some cool special effects when the vault break-in hits the movie screen!!!!

Now - what I'd like to know is: If Slughorn can enlarge his office to hold a big party, camping tents and Ministry cars can be larger inside than outside, and the beaded bag can hold a ton of stuff...why can't the Weasley's enlarge a room or two at the Burrow when they have company over?????? Or bill and Fleur at Shell Cottage????

Edited by JFSinIL

LOL, maybe that IS the enlarged version of what they have! Maybe the reality is it's a 1 room shack?

Maybe the magic is not that they are enlarging something on the inside, but that something large appears small on the outside?

My dh and I have wondered the same thing, esp when we were a family of 10 in 1000 sq foot house!:D

I'd forgotten about the pensieve bit in Book 6. Now it makes sense.

As far as enlarging the Weasleys' house or Shell Cottage: Hermoine said (I think) that it took some quite sophisticated magic to create the roomy beaded bag. Not that any of the Weasleys couldn't do the same, but perhaps it's magic that isn't permanent? That's not mentioned, of course, but I wonder what would happen if the Weasleys enlarged the house, gave Aunt Muriel the spare room they created, then forgot to renew the magic.

Would Aunt Muriel be squashed? Would they have cared? I imagine the twins would have shot off fireworks.

Thanks again for your help. It's always good to chat with Potter fans.

Also in ch. 23, when they were taken to Malfoy Manor after being captured by Fenrir Greyback and the Snatchers, Bellatrix was sure they had been in her vault because they had the sword of Gryffindor, which was supposed to have been sent to her vault by Snape. SHe tortured Hermione on p. 465, asking what else they had taken from her vault. I think that might have been a clue to go looking there for other horcruxes.

I am not sure if they'd planned on breaking into her vault before then. I can't remember, and I don't have time to search the book right now. We just listened to the book over the summer though so that's how I remembered this part.