Menu

Notgrass History users....question for you

I have a freshman (son) and a sophomore (daughter).

My great intent was to do government with both kids this year because of the election year and because they were both expressing interest in the election.  So I waited until the new edition came out and bought 2 copies.  We started middle of last week (the books just arrived).  My daughter seems to be doing just fine, but my son appears to be struggling.  He says that the book is hard to understand.   I want to give it a fair chance, and yet, I also know that most government classes for seniors, not freshmen, and I also don't want to waste too much time if we need to find a different book.  But I don't know if all of the Notgrass high school books are all written on the same level or if World or American history would be easier. 

So my question to you is this:

1) are the Notgrass books leveled to some degree

2) would you change books?

3) and if so, (we want to stay with Notgrass) would you do World or American history.  

thanks.

Oh, I thought there would be some Notgrass users here who could help me out.  Please.  I just heard from the company and they told me that the reading level for all HS books is fairly similar.  But I was under the impression that the World and US were a bit easier.  So I guess I just need more input here.

thanks.

All Notgrass high school courses are written at a similar level. Our government and economics courses may be a bit more difficult because some of the content is more abstract and philosophical.

On the other hand, if you use our world or American history courses as written, they involve more work--more literature and more primary sources and the Bible credit.

You can access sample units from all of our courses on our website, and your son can read the ones from Exploring World History and Exploring America to see if they might be a better fit for him this year.

• Like 1

Economics concepts can be difficult for some kids. (Even adults!) Maybe start him out with "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" (WHTPC) as an intro to all of the concepts and the move on to Notgrass? WHTPC is a small book, easy read, because it's written more to middle school. It might take two weeks to finish at a leisurely pace. 

(hope the next morning isn't too late to help you.  I wanted to chime in yesterday, but life happened. ugh.......... what an afternoon!  anyway.. if this is helpful today, great,)

I've only used Notgrass exploring world history.  So, I'm no help on that. I'd suggest what the company guy told you - and compare the samples.  

as others have suggested, it could be the topic is abstract without help and not much to do with writing level of material.

If it would help any?  When I had my oldest (at the time 12th grade) and middle (at the time 9th grade) doing another economics course together, I found it was helpful for my 9th grader to have me teach the material first, then let her read the books.  She needed help with the concepts and time to bounce ideas off and listen.   Maybe if you could do the Notgrass gov't course with the 9th grader and see if it is just reading comprehension issue or if it is this is abstract and in a few weeks we'll hit cruising speed.(edit: for example, he may need to write down some new to him vocabulary to understand it better.)

My middle child at 9th grade was not ready for hand over textbook and learn econ kind of stuff.  She was able to do notgrass world history in 9th because we had been doing history all along.  But something like gov't and/or econ?  It was new.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

The first chapter of Notgrass Government is very unlike the rest of the course. It is a historical and biblical look at government. He may do much better when he gets to more contemporary topics.

The writing in Notgrass is not overly difficult. I wouldn't expect any high school level government course to be written at a lower level unless it was designed to be remedial. -Not to say that it is low, just average for high school level course work. I don't think it is written to seniors specifically or anything.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 1

My dd loved the Jr. High American History (America the Beautiful) but was not as enthusiastic about the World History. We are Christian and she felt the text was a bit "preachy".

We just started the Government class but I am reading it along with her so we can discuss the topics. The first section takes a Biblical look at government.

We are also reading "What Ever Happened to Penny Candy?" together and enjoying it. I am hoping to read many of the books in the series as I find them entertaining. Dont know if this info helps or not.

Edited by jelbe5

I don't remember a big difference in the writing level between US and Government--but I wasn't thinking about comparing that the years we used them either. I tend to think Government is a better fit for an older student in general, though I can certainly see why you chose to do it this year due to the election and your students' interests. 

I think I'd give it more time, and in the meantime, ask your son for more feedback--what specifically was difficult to understand (the lesson itself--what parts of the lesson--the original source material, etc...) Discuss the difficult sections together. I often have my kids take T-notes (like Cornell Notes) when we do classes like history or government, and I use what they've written as a starting point for discussion.

I have the previous, black and white version of the government book, so I don't know what might have changed--but the one I have has questions in the student's quiz/exam book. For my daughter (using the program this year--my son had previously used it as well), I'm opting to have her answer the questions for each lesson instead of taking notes, studying, and doing the quizzes. The questions engage her, help her see important things to focus on, and help her to get more out of the text, so they've been a good option for her. She feels like she's engaging with the text, and writing the answers helps her process what she has read. They also help me to see where she may be missing something from the text, or that there's something that would be good for us to discuss. 

All that to say that you might just need to play around with things for awhile--find out what will help him over this beginning hump, and see if the text becomes a bit easier for him to understand. Be willing to read sections aloud to him if necessary (last year my dd was having trouble with some of the language in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and I read portions of that aloud--it really can make a difference). I do agree with one of the previous comments that it may be this first section on the biblical basis of government that's throwing him, and that it may be a bit easier later on. I think it's just too soon to tell.

• Like 3

Great question!
I did a comparison/contrast with our editions of Exploring American History and American Government.
I concur with what John Notgrass posted.
Dd will begin Exploring American History for her sophomore year and conclude with American Government her junior year.