Menu

A summer of Webster's

Ds made a lot of improvement in reading but still was on the slow side and made mistakes. I tested him on decoding before and after doing Webster's this summer. Before doing Webster's he got instructional in 3rd, 5th and 6th and could not read any words after the 6th grade list.

I tested him again and he got independent for up to the 6th grade level and instructional for 7th and he can read some of the words on the higher lists. He still is on the slow side but I think I have seen progress in the last week. He still does not chose to read on his own but hopefully now that he is getting closer to tackle the books he likes and will hopefully make slow and steady fluency gains he will start to. Webster's was not my favorite. I wish there was more instruction with it. He still makes a lot of mistakes in a Webster's lesson but it did help get improvement in his reading level. We did the lessons with 3 or more syllables and got pretty far. I think he should do two syllable lessons too. I think if I work on it next summer I would chose something else.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 4

I just gave dd the post assessment now too. She was at instructional for 6th and could not read past 6th at all before doing Webster's. Now she is instructional for 7th, 8th and 9 and independent for 6th. Both of them seem to be able to handle more multi syllable words but still cannot handle all big words correctly. It is good to see the improvement though in both of them.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 2