Menu

Shakespheare for Children book to go with the Audio CD by Jim Weiss?

Which Jim Weiss Shakespeare CD do you have? To my knowledge there are 2 & we have both. I have paired A Midsummer Night's Dream With Bruce Coville's picture book (same title name). With The Taming of the Shrew I use Saddleback's Illustrated Classics. I used this same book series with Julius Caesar. I paired Romeo & Juliet with Lois Burdett's book of the same name. My daughter's 6 & appreciates the heavily illustrated versions of these works. Since she's still so young she also likes Usborne's Shakespeare sticker book, a Globe Theater finger puppet theater, & Dover's Great Scenes from Shakespeare's Plays coloring book (along with [perhaps] their Mid-Summer's stained glass coloring book).

We are just beginning our journey through Shakespeare's world & my approach is light-hearted & fun. We are lucky to be near DC's Folger's Theater & have participated in their children's programs. She's also seen a crazy-good acrobatic & wordless production of A Mid-Summer. My goal is really just exposure to & a love for.....well....his stories. After all, at age 6, that's mostly what they are to her. At this point, I simply want her to become familiar with his works & appreciate them holistically (if that makes sense). She can mature in her appreciation of the various 'layers' of Shakespeare as she herself grows & moves through childhood.

Another way we keep things going is through a Shakespeare Quotes notebook we compile. As we read more works, it gets longer. I ask her which lines 'speak to her' from a play &/or I chose some myself. This way we have a sort of running record of Shakespeare's works & can refer to important lines (discuss them, etc.). While speeding around the house, she's been known to say, ' I go, I go. Look how I go. Swifter than arrow from the Tartar's bow.' Too cute, if you ask me. I love how she memorizes & can transfer these lines to new situations--all through child's play. I got this idea from Ken Ludwig's book How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare. He suggested having kids memorize lines & I added the quotes journal aspect. As you can tell, it's been a success thus far.

Also, not for nothing & totally as an aside I got her a cute T-shirt that says 'Though she be but little she is fierce' (from Etsy). She wears it proudly, knows the reference, & (although it sums her up quite rightly) leans on this saying to propel her forward when needed. To me, THAT's a darn-tooting killer way to pay homage to & live by Shakespeare's wisdom.

• Like 1

There's a Shakespeare for kids book too.

It has text to read to them , mainly a bio , it's main focus is crafts to learn of the times and his life, what theater meant to the people of the day.

It's a really fun, engaging, and inspiring book.

It goes from birth thru death, taking breaks to do crafts. Daily life, the theater, architecture .

I've used it with all 5 of my kids.

What are the other books you are talking about?

Theres one that went out of print, Shakespeare stories. I loaned mine to a friend and never got it back.

I think another publisher was revamping it and bringing it bck to the market.

I haven't heard of the books your talking about.

I want them tho! And the cd's.

I didn't even know Jim Weiss made Shakespeare cd's.

So, I'm all ears lol...and going to follow this thread. :)

Edited by Kat w
  • Like 1

Oh....I bought a Shakespeare book of his plays in comic book form too from rainbow. The pictures are cutely done in characuture .

The boys really like it cuz its comic book form. I'm not as crazy bout it ...BC..I'm mom I guess lol.

But they are always picki g it up and asking me to read it to them.

Has much ado bout nothing. Big fave here.

We also use the Shakespeare coloring books to go along with...they are packed with some pretty good text too.

I want those cd's now lol :)

Edited by Kat w

Oh....I bought a Shakespeare book of his plays in comic book form too from rainbow. The pictures are cutely done in characuture .

The boys really like it cuz its comic book form. I'm not as crazy bout it ...BC..I'm mom I guess lol.

But they are always picki g it up and asking me to read it to them.

Has much ado bout nothing. Big fave here.

We also use the Shakespeare coloring books to go along with...they are packed with some pretty good text too.

I want those cd's now lol :)

Yes, Weiss' 2 CDs are well done. He's got an entertaining yet soothing voice. Plus he uses Shakespeare's words as much as possible. Look into Lois Burdett's Shakespeare series too. Her 2nd grade students added their hand-drawn illustrations & sidebar comments which make it high interest for this age group. Good stuff!

• Like 1

The comic book type book of his plays is ...they have a takes, and a more tales...I git the more tales cuz it had much ado about nothing. For some reason...all boys seem to like thst one.

More tales from Shakespeare

By marica Williams.

That might be fun to read to him and he might like the comic book pics....

Or.....I'm GINNA be done with mine in a couple weeks.

You can jus borrow mine. Be cheaper probably . unless you wanted to keep it in hand for the crafts.

It dies have some cool crafts

• Like 1

I have the coloring book if his plays too the boys , I gave them those small felt tip markers like the ones thst you do those velvet type coloring in?

We used those markers to fill in the coloring book of his plays.

You can borrow all of the books. If ya want.

He could even paint them. Weve don't thst too. Painting them is alot of fun.

• Like 1