Menu

Foerster's Algebra II and Trigonometry course question

I'm using that book this year. Some places cover it in two years (like VP) & call the second year Pre-Calculus. Others cover some of it & call it Alg 2 (like Kolbe). They cover more (but not all) of it to be called Honors Alg 2 & Trig (also Kolbe) and still only give it one credit. Homeschool Connections covers the whole thing - and it isn't their Honors course. 

It looks like Math Without Borders covers the whole thing in a school year for one credit of Alg 2.

So, it really depends on who is granting credit.

We'll be doing most, if not all, of the text and giving one credit of Alg 2. If DD likes it, we'll go onto Foerster's Pre-Calc book the following year.

• Like 1

I hope someone more knowledgeable responds.

I used Foerster's Alg 1, but never got to the Alg2/Trig book because ds started DE at CC.  But, I remember when I was investigating that there was discussion (or suggestion from the author from what I remember) that you cover the Alg 2 portion of the bookin one year, skip the Trig part, and use the Pre-Calc the next year.  I gathered that the Trig part was repeated in the Pre-Calc book.  I've heard on these boards that Pre-Calc is Trig + Alg 3 (or College Algebra).

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

I hope someone more knowledgeable responds.

I used Foerster's Alg 1, but never got to the Alg2/Trig book because ds started DE at CC.  But, I remember when I was investigating that there was discussion (or suggestion from the author from what I remember) that you cover the Alg 2 portion of the bookin one year, skip the Trig part, and use the Pre-Calc the next year.  I gathered that the Trig part was repeated in the Pre-Calc book.  I've heard on these boards that Pre-Calc is Trig + Alg 3 (or College Algebra).

There is some overlap in the Trig part of the Foerster Precalc book versus Alg 2 but for the most part it is more advanced.  We used it as our after-school text this past summer (school started in AZ already).  

I would do something like the Kolbe course if you want Honors level Algebra with Trig ( 1 HS credit).  The Foerster's Alg2/Trig book will provide that challenge. (We used it summer 2015).

Algebra & Trigonometry: Functions and Applications TOC

Chapter 1: Preliminary Information

Chapter 2: Functions and Relations

Chapter 3: Linear Functions

Chapter 4: Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities

Chapter 5: Quadratic Functions and Complex Numbers

Chapter 6: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions

Chapter 7: Rational Algebraic Functions

Chapter 8: Irrational Algebraic Functions

Chapter 9: Quadratic Relations and Systems

Chapter 10: Higher-Degree Functions and Complex Numbers

Chapter 11: Sequences and Series